Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Book Review: Murder at the Marina by Janet Finsilver (Kelly Jackson #5)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Charming characters, interesting premise
Cons: Abrupt ending could have been stronger
The Bottom Line:
Dagger on a boat
Opens intriguing story
Characters we love



Heritage Festival Brings Murder

One thing I love about a series is the chance for supporting players to step to the forefront.  In the Kelly Jackson series, we’ve met brothers Ivan and Rudy before, but they really got a chance to shine in Murder at the Marina, the fifth book in the series.

If you are new to the series, Kelly Jackson runs the Redwood Cove Bed and Breakfast in Northern California.  Since arriving in the fictional town of Redwood Cove, she has stumbled into several mysteries that she’s solved along with a local group of seniors who have dubbed themselves the Silver Sentinels.  Ivan and Rudy are part of this group, so when they find themselves in trouble, everyone is ready to jump in to help.

It all begins when a dagger is found on Ivan and Rudy’s boat covered in what looks like blood.  No one seems to know how it got there, but the brothers recognize it right away as part of a set that had been in the family before they came to America, fleeing the aftermath of the Russian Revolution.

Meanwhile, the annual Russian Heritage Festival is coming soon, and the committee is having more than its usual share of squabbles.  At the center of all the commotion is the owner of the new Russian merchandise store in town.  When he turns up dead on Ivan and Rudy’s boat, things really heat up.  Can Kelly and the rest of the Silver Sentinels figure out what is going on.

If you read my reviews regularly, you know I’m a timeline guy.  I do have to question just how old Ivan and Rudy are supposed to be given the history we get here.  But in this case, it’s more a lingering question than anything I truly cared about.

I was hooked on the story within a few pages.  The premise was extremely intriguing.  The plot kept me engaged the entire time, with several good twists that I enjoyed.  Unfortunately, the climax was rather abrupt.  It does answer all our questions, but it was weaker than it could have been.

There is quite a large cast of characters here, and I loved getting to spend time with all of them again.  Yes, the suspects are appropriately shady, but the rest of the cast are completely wonderful.  That includes the police, who do question Rudy and Ivan, as they should, but suspect that something else is going on.  I always appreciate it when the police aren’t quick to assume someone they know has suddenly become a criminal.

While there are no recipes at the end of the book, I still consider these books culinary cozies because of all the delicious food that is discussed over the course of the book.  Not to mention the scenes involving Kelly taking a baking lesson from her potential love interest.

I grew up not too far from where this series is set, and I enjoyed seeing the fictional counterparts to places I know pop up here.  And yes, there is Russian heritage in the area since it was originally setting by Russians.  I thought that tie in to the region was great.

If you are looking for a charming cozy series, you will definitely be glad you picked up the Kelly Jackson Mysteries.  Murder at the Marina is another entry fans will enjoy.

Check out the rest of the Kelly Jackson Mysteries.

2 comments:

  1. I'm listening to one of these books next month and am so looking forward to it. I've been collecting these since the first book came out but somehow have never read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this. And thanks again for bringing this author to my attention. I found the first book in Audible Plus so I can try it in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.