Sunday, May 7, 2023

May 7th's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to Sunday and this week's Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I had a fairly quiet week.  Being the first week of the month, it was close at work, so it was very busy.  We got an extra day, and somehow, we ate up every minute of it.  It always seems that way.  But it was nice to have a more chill week after the last couple of weeks that have seemed non-stop.

The one difference between this week and last week is that we went back to winter weather, including rain on Thursday.  Okay, so it was only a quarter of an inch, but coupled with temps barely getting into the 60's, it didn't feel like May.  Fortunately, we are supposed to warm up this coming week.

No, I didn't go paddle boarding Saturday.  And no, the weather wasn't part of it.  A town near me was having a literacy festival.  And an author I read was there with the third in his series.  I didn't have it yet.  So yes, I went driving up there to get it.  What else was I supposed to do?

But my driving wasn't over.  A few hours later, I headed south for some ultimate Frisbee.  There was a double header, the professional women's team, followed by the profession men's team.  How could I pass that up?  Especially since I try to go to some of the games every year.

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Ornament Review: A Beauty in Blue
Tuesday - Book Review: Silence is Golden by Penny Warner
Wednesday - TV Show Review: Quantum Leap - Season 3
Thursday - Book Review: If I Had a Hammer by Teresa Trent
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

Let's start with a book I forgot to include last week.  The ebook version of Broadcast 4 Murder by JC Eaton was on sale last weekend.  I am woefully behind on this series, but a sale is a sale, so I snagged it.


I also picked up an ARC of A Fatal Groove by Olivia Blacke.  I enjoyed the first in this series set in a record store, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.  The book will be out at the end of July.

Then I noticed that the ebook version of Andorra Pett and the Oort Cloud Café by Richard Dee was on sale.  I'd had this one on my radar for a while since it's a science fiction set mystery.  Hopefully it turns out to be enjoyable since there are more books in the series.

I also got the audio version of Southern Ghost by Carolyn Hart from the library.

Finally, there's Bring the Night by J.R. Sanders.  This is the book I went to get Saturday.  It's the third in a historical PI mystery series set in LA.  As I said earlier, I enjoyed the first two, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

That's 5 books in one week.  At least only one is a physical book.  That's a win, right?

What I'm Currently Reading:

As I type this, I'm working on A Novel Disguise by Samantha Larsen.  I'm having a lot of fun with this book, set in the 1780's in England.  The main character is pretending to be her late half-brother in an attempt to keep the cottage she loves, which comes as a perk of his job.  Yes, there is a murder or two, but that is almost secondary to the rest of the things going on in her life.  And I am hooked.  I haven't gotten as far into it as I had hoped, but there is still a possibility that I will get it finished up on
Saturday.

Either way, my next book will bring me back to modern times.  I'll be reading Her Dying Day, a thriller by Mindy Carlson.  This is one of the books I got for Christmas.  Yes, that's how much I've been getting buried under books I want to read this year.  It looks like this has been a well received book, so I'm looking forward to it.

With all the driving I talked about earlier, did you think I wouldn't start another audio book?  That's what Southern Ghost was for.  Not quite sure how far I will wind up getting into the book, but it should be pretty far.  This is the eighth in the Death on Demand series.  I never have gotten around to reading them, but I am enjoying catching up on them in audio.

Have a great week!

22 comments:

  1. When will spring finally come! It'll be raining a lot here too for the next two days.
    I used to read a lot of Carolyn Hart. Hope you like her mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite title in your new books is Fatal Groove. I think it's because of the record on the cover; I love the nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not feeling much like spring here either. We hit 70's briefly before it started raining and the temps dropped.

    I'd like to see more SF mysteries so Dee's book looks really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to hear an author speak this week too!

    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still no spring here in Seattle - just rain and 50-60d. I'm over it. Looks like another good book week for you.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-47

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a nice and quiet week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Please join the Book Photo Sundays and Cover Spotlight

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even with all the driving it sounds like it was a good weekend. Nice book haul. We also had dreary/cold weather. The past two days were sunny and super nice, but it's supposed to rain/storm again today. A great day to stay inside. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up A Fatal Groove too. I loved the first book and can't wait to read this one. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You stay so active with paddleboard and frisbee! Awesome exercise. I see you ahve some good books here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, yes, of course! You absolutely had to drive to the literacy festival to get that book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ultimate frisbee sounds like a lot of fun and a good workout! Have a great week ahead Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, after some nice temps and a bit of a heatwave we're back to 40s-50s with rain this last week, but it's supposed to warm up for us over the weekend. A Novel Disguise sounds good! Hope you end up liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm A Novel Disguise sounds like good reading. A literary festival and watching some sport - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s been years since I read on but I was a huge fan of the Death in Demand series.

    Wishing you a wonderful reading week

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes perfect sense to me that you would drive to get a book from an author at a literacy festival. Of course!

    I also completely understand buying a book in a series that's on sale even though one is far behind in the series! I do the same things...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have to drop everything and go to a literary festival if it was in my area! Have a good week and enjoy your reading.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  17. We've been cold and rainy too. Great reading weather! I like A Novel Disguise and have A Fatal Groove on my stack too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It rained here Thursday too. I enjoy the rain, but I could have done without the colder weather. I've been enjoying the spring temperatures. The frisbee matches sound like they'd be fun to see! I confess I didn't even know it was a competitive sport. I looked it up and watched a highlights video. That would be fun to see, especially in person!

    It looks like you have some great reading ahead of you! I am interested in Olivia Blacke's series. I still need to read the first book. A Novel Disguise sounds like such a fun read!

    I hope you have a great week, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's been very un-May here too but is starting to warm up. Sounds like a busy weekend but a fun one. I've never seen a professional ultimate frisbee game but it sounds like such fun! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you get some warm weather soon.
    It's always good to read about your adventures, especially since you end up with books a lot of times. :-) I really like the cover on Broadcast for Murder. I plan to check out the sci fi mystery series.
    Have a great week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Winter was back here in Virginia for a while too. Then it got hot. Probably will get cold again just in time for the weekend.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice you have so many series you enjoy! Not easy to find one that keeps getting good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.