Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Movie Review: Mission: Impossible

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Action is wonderful
Cons: Major plot issues
The Bottom Line:
Action reigns supreme
Tries to outshine plot problems
Ruin film for me



“I Understand That You Are Very Upset.”  “You Haven’t Seen Me Very Upset.”

I can remember how excited I was when the first Mission: Impossible movie came out in 1996.  (Yes, it really has been that long.)  While I hadn’t watched the TV show, I was familiar enough with it to know the premise sounded fun, and the previews made the stunts look wonderful.  Yes, the stunts are wonderful.  But the plot of the movie left me very disappointed.

The movie focuses on Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise), a member of a secret American covert ops team under the leadership of his friend Jim Phelps (Jon Voight).  Their latest assignment is in Prague, where they have to keep a list of American agents working in Eastern Europe from falling into the wrong hands.  However, the mission goes horribly wrong, and Ethan finds himself under investigation as a double agent.  The only way to clear his name is to steal the list himself and use it to lure out the real traitor.  Can he succeed?

I will try to discuss my dissatisfaction with this movie without spoiling things explicitly.  However, there is no way to do so without hinting at things.  But given how old the film is, it is hardly a spoiler at this point, right?

As I said, I never really watched the TV show, but I did know enough to know a little about characters on the show.  This movie, in the name of plot twists, not only throws out everything about the show, but it also punches fans of the series in the gut.  I’m not a fan of the series, and it still feels wrong.  I’ve rewatched the movie a few times now, and I still feel like they should have done things differently so as not to disrespect the show’s legacy.

Then there’s a plot point late in the movie.  Ethan makes a connection that never has made sense to me.  It is such a leap of logic that I am surprised others don’t have issue with it.  I get how he is supposed to make the connection, but it is purely lazy writing that creates a plot hole.

Ironically enough, both of these issues could have been fixed with a couple of minor tweaks.  If they would have done that, I would have loved this movie.

Because much of the movie is solid.  The actors are all great.  The story is action packed.  And the big action sequences?  They deliver in spades.  Even having watched the movie a couple of times, I still get caught up in the suspense and am on the edge of my seat.

I do have to mention the technology.  I mentioned this movie came out in 1996, right?  It shows.  I’m sure the phones and laptops were better than state of the art when the movie came out, but they look so dated now.  That’s a minor thing, but it did still amuse me when I watched it most recently.

Honestly, I can’t remember if I watched the original sequel, but I have gotten caught up in the franchise and enjoy them for the rides they are.  I just wish that the first Mission: Impossible movie were more respectful to the franchise and didn’t include a giant plot hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.