Friday, May 5, 2023

Book Review: The Black Box by Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch #16)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Bosch and a compelling case
Cons: One thing near climax; typical department politics
The Bottom Line:
Case from the riots
Turns from cold to hot for Bosch
A compelling book



Murder During the LA Riots

2012 marked the twentieth anniversary of the LA riots that kicks off after the verdict in the Rodney King beating trial.  It also marked the twentieth anniversary of the Harry Bosch series.  Author Michael Connelly managed to honor both with The Black Box.

When the riots happened back in 1992, Harry Bosch was a homicide detective who was called in to work crime scenes as quickly as possible since there were so many happening during that time.  One of those was of a reporter from a paper in Europe.  Nothing ever came of the case until twenty years later.  Bosch is now working in the cold case squad, but a ballistics hit was just made that links the gun that killed the reporter to gang related murders that have happened in the years since.  Can Bosch use this fresh new lead to finally solve the case?

This book kicks off back in 1992, but it isn’t long before we are in the “modern” setting of 2012.  (I keep inching closer to catching up on Michael Connelly’s books.  Someday, I will make it.)  As always with this series, I enjoy watching how Bosch follows one clue to another and eventually figures things out.  I wouldn’t have guessed where things would end, but it was completely logical.

Along the way, we get plenty of twists and lots of action at the end.  I will say that I found the recurring problem Harry has of butting heads with those above him to be a bit of a cliché at this point.  Yes, it does add some drama to the book, but we’ve seen this is almost every book at this point.  There was also one thing near the end that felt a little too convenient for me.  But both of these critics are minor overall.

Part of that is because I enjoy spending time with Bosch.  I wouldn’t be still reading the books if I didn’t feel that way, right?  He’s an interesting main character, and I find it fun watching him figure out the complex cases he’s given to handle.  I also really enjoyed his relationship with his daughter in this book.  I’m glad to see how that is continuing to bloom and how that adds a new dimension to his character.

As much as I complained a bit about the police department politics Bosch faces, there was one aspect of it that I enjoyed.  It sadly feels all too realistic still, and I could see where everyone was coming from in this case.

Of course, this isn’t one of my typical cozies.  As a result, you’ll find the book a bit darker, with more violence and language.  As long as you are aware of that going in, you’ll be fine.

I listened to this book on audio narrated by Michael McConnohie.  I believe this is his first (and only) time narrating a book in the series, and he did a good job.

I continue to be in awe at how Michael Connelly weaves his stories.  The Black Box kept me going from start to finish.  If you are looking for a page turning thriller, this series is for you.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Harry Bosch Mysteries.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good. I'll have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.