Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Ornament Review: 1940 - Fantasia Premiers - Moments that Made Disney #6 - 2015 Disney Store Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Unexpected moment capture in an elegant style
Cons: Rather monochromatic
The Bottom Line:
Diana shoots stars
Commemorates Fantasia
Elegant but plain

Disney Shoots for the Moon with this Ornament

I must admit I am not the biggest fan of the Fantasia films.  Part of it is my only marginal interest in classical music.  (I know, I know.)  While the animation is fun and most of the segments are good, I just find I enjoy it better in smaller doses.  But I still recognize how groundbreaking the film was and still is.  That’s why I get an ornament honoring Fantasia’s debut as part of the Moments that Made Disney ornament series from The Disney Store.

With all the segments they could have gone with, they went with the Pastoral Symphony scene inspired by Beethoven and Greek mythology.  Specifically, they chose a moment from late in the scene as Diana, goddess of the Moon, is shooting stars into the night sky.  She’s got a star notched in the big crescent bow and is aiming into the sky.  At her side is one of her faithful dogs.  The entire ornament is done in a light bluish gray since this is the Moon we are looking at after all.

I’m a little surprised they didn’t go with Mickey from “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” for this ornament since it is the best known sequence from the film.  Then again, Mickey makes several appearances in the ornament series, and there are already many ornaments of him in that hat, so it’s nice to have a greater variety.  There are some other segments I might have expected them to use, but ultimately, I think this is a good choice because it is unexpected.

The ornament itself is a little monochromatic.  I get what they were going for with it looking like the moon, but it is a little plan.  However, the details on it are absolutely beautiful as always for this series.

Diana is standing on a circular base for this ornament with wisps of clouds on the top of it.  It has Fantasia written on the front, and the bottom is nice and flat, so you can display it year round with any collection you might wish.

The Disney Store includes red ribbons in the loops in their ornaments for you.  This time, the loop is located in the top of Diana’s head but below the crescent/arch of the bow.  The ornament hangs essentially straight, tipping forward just ever so slightly.  You will want to make sure the ribbon goes around the bow when it go to hang it, however.  As usual with ornaments from The Disney Store, it is a little larger and heavier than your average ornament, so you’ll want to keep that in mind for placement on your tree.

This is not the choice I would have expected for an ornament commemorating Fantasia’s premier, but I do like it.  It adds an elegance to this fun ornament series.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Moments that Made Disney series.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.