Sunday, March 15, 2015

Book Review: If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff illustrated by Felicia Bond



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Charming illustrations bring a creative story to life
Cons: Only if you run out of muffins
The Bottom Line:
Creative story
Filled with some wild connections
Great illustrations





Of Moose, Muffins, Jam, and …

Having found the charm in Laura Numeroff’s books last year, I didn’t hesitate when I found If You Give a Moose a Muffin on a friend’s bookshelf recently.  It was another delight that kids especially will enjoy.

When you see a moose out your kitchen window, you might be tempted to give him a muffin.  That is, of course, a nice gesture.  But can you really eat a muffin without jam?  And that jam might make a mess, and then who knows where that might lead.  Somehow, I think it will be a fun tale (or is that tail).

These are simple books with just a sentence or two on each page.  As a result, they are very quick reads.  However, the illustrations from Felicia Bond absolutely make them worth reading.  The detail is wonderful and the way she takes a wild story and draws the pictures adds to the comedy.

Of course, the story itself also makes the book worth reading.  If I told you were this book wound up, you’d think I was crazy, and yet it all makes perfect sense as you read along.  Seeing just what the current action leads the Moose to want to do next is the entire fun of the book, and watching those connections again and again make repeated reading fun.

So you need to see for yourself just what happens If You Give a Moose a Muffin.  You’ll be pleased with the results, I’m sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.