Sunday, October 20, 2019

Disney Pin Review: Genie - Disney Wisdom Collection #10

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great quote, fun set
Cons: A blue monkey! (but it works)
The Bottom Line:
Disney three pin set
Features great quote about heart
Popular duo

A Reminder That the Heart Matters

We are on the home stretch of the Disney Wisdom Collection since the year itself is winding down.  (How crazy is that?)  This month’s quote is inspired by Aladdin and it makes for a great pin set.

I must admit, I had to look this quote up since the only clue that ShopDisney put up for the longest time was “Narrator.”  That could apply to so many movies.  Once they added this month’s main character, Genie, it was obvious.  The fact that this month’s color is blue should have been a clue as well.

The quote?  “Like so many things, it’s not what is outside, but what is inside that counts.”  I can definitely get behind this quote.  In fact, it mirrors the Bible in I Samuel 16.  “God does not see the way that man sees.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.”  (That’s the Mark paraphrase going off my memory without looking it up.)  It is the actions, that come from our heart, that ultimately prove who we are and what our character is.  And, looking beyond outward appearance, also makes us less shallow.

As I already said, the pin set this month is blue, and one of the characters is Genie.  The other is Abu, and he’s holding the lamp.  Now, quite obviously, Genie looks good in blue.  I must be getting use to how the characters look in this series because I don’t have an issue with Abu in blue.  A blue monkey?  That’s certainly not something that works on outward appearance, right?  The third pin in the set is the quote itself.  Since it is long, some of the words are small, but they still have a few key words highlighted in red.

I’m a little torn how to score this entry in my unofficial list of whether the speaker is included in the set.  Robin Williams voiced both the narrator and the Genie, and in the live action remake, they made it clear the Genie was narrating the story.  But these characters are based on the animated movie.  Since I’m the only one who cares about this, I’m going to give this month’s entry a half point, meaning that out of the 10 set so far, the person giving us the wisdom has shown up in 3.5 of them.

While I have had some quibbles with the wisdom of the this, I have no issues with this quote.  So pick up this pin set today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.