Thursday, January 25, 2024

Book Review: The Case of the Canterfell Codicil by P.J. Fitzsimmons (Anty Boisjoly Mysteries #1)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Laughs, puzzling mystery, and great characters
Cons: This case has no cons
The Bottom Line:
Locked room mystery
That gives us lots of laughter
Can’t wait to read more


 


“One Doesn’t Just Ignore an Old School Chum with a Locked Room Mystery.”

When I ran across the Anty Boisjoly Mysteries, I was immediately intrigued by the description that said they were a cross between Dorothy L. Sayers and P.G. Wodehouse.  While I am not as familiar with either author as I probably should be, I knew enough to know that a combination of the two is something that would be right up my alley.  I’m pleased to report that the first, The Case of the Canterfell Codicil was as delightful as I imagined it would be.

It all starts when Anty Boisjoly gets the telegram from his friend Fiddles.  It seems that Fiddles’ uncle has died under mysterious circumstances.  Several people heard him shouting at someone before he plunged to his death from his study in the estate’s tower.  The locked tower that Fiddles had to help break into.

Naturally, Anty is intrigued and immediately sets out to help figure out what happened.  Not long after he arrives, Fiddles becomes the inspector’s prime suspect.  Can Anty figure out what is going on in time to clear his friend?

I’ll admit that it took me a chapter to really get into the book.  The book is set in the summer of 1928, and it is written in a style more in keeping with that time than ours today.  It took me a bit to get used to it, but after that first chapter, things clicks and I was fully on board and caught up in the story.

Anty is a man about town, but he’s also smart enough to be the lead character.  He picks up on lots of things I missed, and he does a great job of wrapping up the case.  In fact, I was very impressed with not only how the murder took place but the clues Anty used to ultimately solve everything.  They were all there, but I hadn’t picked up on them.

We get a fun collection of characters in this book.  I suspect the series will be light on recurring characters, but that doesn’t mean any of the characters in this book were weak.  They were all fleshed out and kept me guessing exactly what they were all up to.

Which brings us to the humor.  It isn’t for everyone, but if you enjoy very dry British wit, you’ll love this one.  I’m more familiar with Oscar Wilde than Wodehouse, and some of these lines would have been right at home in a Wilde play.  I was looking forward to the next joke as much as I was the next twist.  And there were plenty of both.

Quite obviously, this book was a hit for me.  I will be looking forward to visiting Anty again in the near future.  If you enjoy laughing as you try to piece together a puzzling mystery, you need to pick up The Case of the Canterfell Codicil today.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Anty Boisjoly Mysteries.

5 comments:

  1. I have read the published books and loved every one of them. You have a great read there. Chris Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You had me at Dorothy Sayers. I need to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so great! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 1920s writing would have thrown me off but I am glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love British humour!

    Thanks for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.