Friday, January 19, 2024

January 19th's Friday Post

 Let's go for three in a row!  I'm back for this week's Friday Post, and I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week's book is The Case of the Canterfell Codicil by PJ Fitzsimmons.


Yes, that's a mouthful of a title, but it is a great book.  I finished it earlier this week.  It's a locked room mystery set in on an estate in England in 1928 packed with plenty of humor.

I will say, however, that the beginning was a little rough.  I'll share the telegram that opens the book as well as the first couple of lines:

 “COME AT ONCE -(STOP)- UNCLE SEB. DEAD -(STOP)- DEFENESTRATED BY UNSEEN HAND -(STOP)- FIDDLES”

“Rummy missive,” I said to Carnaby, steward of the Juniper Gentleman’s Club. He’d just read the telegram aloud for my benefit, my hands being otherwise occupied with a whisky and soda syphon. “What do you make of it?”

Reading it now, it makes sense.  Maybe it was just that it took me the first chapter to really get into it.

Either way, I was very into the book by the time I hit the 56% mark.  It was hard to pick a quote since it was a scene with a lot of spoilers for the plot, but I was able to snag this one:

“Are you calling me a liar, Mister Boisjoly?” said Laetitia, her arms crossed for battle.
“My dear Mrs Canterfell, of course not. I’m merely calling you a bad guesser.”

What to know what that is all about?  You'll have to read the book.

I'll be back with my review next Thursday.

In the meantime, let's turn to this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

Have you ever loved a book that everyone else hated or hated a book that everyone else loved?

Plenty of times.  I feel like I'm often opposite others.

A big example for me is Robert Crais.  He has a few books that I really enjoyed, but most of them are okay at best.  But many people rave about his books.  I find I'm one of the few saying they aren't as good as everyone else thinks they are.

That's it for me.  Hope you have a good weekend.

12 comments:

  1. I had to look up this word: DEFENESTRATED. Now I'm really curious about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that Anne looked up defenestrated, too!

    I'm often standing alone in my defense or lack-of-love for a book. It's just how it is, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am glad Deb and Anne looked it up, too, because I had no clue what that word was or meant, lol! Have an awesome weekend, Mark 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, a locked room mystery grips us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. I usually don't read historicals but lately I've been seeing a few historical mysteries that look really good. I have to add them to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I not heard of this book before now? And such a beautiful cover--very Ayn Rand-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why exactly, but I love those mouthful titles. A humorous mystery set in the late 1920's sounds really good! I am glad you liked The Case of the Canterfell Codicil.

    I think I've read one Robert Crais book and I remember enjoying it. I can think of series and authors I have read and haven't cared for that others really like. M.C. Beaton, being one I can think of off the top of my head.

    I hope you have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That whole beginning is a mouthful. Sounds like it was worth seeing it through, though. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good book. Sometimes it can take me a while to get into a book and then I end up loving it!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/01/19/first-line-friday-midnight-at-the-christmas-bookshop-by-jenny-colgan/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good we all like or dislike different things about books, isn't it?

    Nice answer.

    Hope you had a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Saturday!

    I’m currently reading Sadie and the Bad Boy Billionaire by Emma St. Clair and Jenny Proctor. It’s super cute!
    “I don’t want to be impressed with Benedict’s boat. Yacht. I don’t want to be impressed with his yacht. But honestly, this thing is gorgeous.”
    I hope you have a great weekend full of fun reading time! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good! I love reading books set in the 20s. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.