Friday, January 12, 2024

January 12th's Friday Post

Welcome to Friday.  That's right, I'm doing Friday posts two weeks in a row!  I'm linking up to:


This week's book is The Chalice of the Gods by Rick Riordan.



No, you don't need to adjust anything, and this isn't a cry for help because I've been captured.  Instead of my usual mystery, I'm featuring a middle grade fantasy book.  It's nice to change things up occasionally.  This is the new book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series that came out last fall.

Here's how it begins:

Look, I didn't want to be a high school senior.
I was hoping my dad could write me a note:
Dear Whoever,
Please excuse Percy Jackson from school forever and just give him the diploma.
Thanks,
Poseidon 

I'd forgotten just how funny these books could be.  I laughed multiple times at Percy's narration and the events that took place.  While page 56 doesn't have the funniest lines of the book, I did enjoy this one:

If nostalgia was the door back to youth, I felt like Hebe had opened that door and drop-kicked me through it.

But I have to share a bonus quote from page 46.  This captures some of the fun of the book:

I am a buy of limited talents.  If I can't kill it with water, a sword, or sarcasm, I am basically defenseless.

If you couldn't tell, I enjoyed this one a lot.  I'll be reviewing it on Sunday as part of this week's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday.  I hope you'll stop by and see what I thought.

Meanwhile, let's wind down with this week's Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

How many books are on your "to be read" list?

I don't know.  I really don't keep track.  Plus, there are the books I've bought I want to read, the books in series I've started but haven't bought yet but I plan to read, the books I haven't bought but would like to read.  And are we counting books that are coming out in year which we are planning to read for review?

Lots.  This accountant is going to land on lots as the answer.  There is a reason I refer to it as my to be read mountain range.

Have a great weekend.

11 comments:

  1. i've forgotten how funny the book is, too. It's been a long time since I read it, but I suspect I'll give it a try soon enough as my grandsons age into it's grade range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget seeing an animated man standing in a small booth with a huge stack of books with an innocuous cover at the Texas Library Association Conference. He persuaded me to take a copy and give it a read---and I did begin it reluctantly that night---and, wow, I couldn't stop reading The Lightning Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such good things about this series--what a nice way to get a reading change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this author, but this one sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read this author but it does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the type of person that's super organized and keeps track of every single book I want to read. I mostly use Goodreads, but I also have a spreadsheet. My TBR is out of control, lol.

    https://jennielyse.com/book-blogger-hop-7/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I'm just starting Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl.
    "I watched as fire devoured the house as if it were living."
    I hope you have a great weekend with lots of relaxing reading time. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no clue as to how many books I have on my tbr. It why I say my tbr is bottomless
    My post:
    https://snapdragonalcoveblog.wordpress.com/2024/01/12/blogging-reading-writing-goals-for-2024/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I published a Friday post today for the first time in almost a month. I can't believe I've been away from it for that long. I think most of us will agree that our TBR is out of control and difficult to track. The book you highlighted sounds like a lot of fun. It's funny because while I read mostly cozy mysteries, last year I bookended my year with two memoirs and this year I began with a romance novella. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the first book in this series. I need to get back to it. And watch the new TV show. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read the first couple of books in this series and really want to read more. Love the beginning of this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.