Friday, January 5, 2024

January 5th's Friday Post

Wow!  It's been almost two months since I last did a Friday post.  Life has a way of getting away from you when you aren't looking, doesn't it?  But I'm going to jump back in today.  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

My teasers for the first three will come from Mushroom Capped by Cathy Wiley.


This is the second book in her Fatal Food Festivals Mysteries.  I loved the first one, and this one was great as well.

Here's how it begins:

“Are you sure this is a good idea, Jackie?” my brother asked. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed this, but people have ended up dead at these festivals you’re judging. Now you’re at a festival where the featured ingredient could actually kill people.”

He does have a good point.  Especially since someone was poisoned at the first festival.

Meanwhile, at 56% into the book, Jackie, the main character, has just been present when a second body turned up.  Deputy Frayne has arrived on the scene and is asking Jackie about what happened.  When Jackie explains that she went back outside to see what was going on, Deputy Frayne asks:

“So, you then ran outside after hearing a gunshot? You don’t believe in self-preservation, do you?’
“I didn’t run out. I headed back down the stairs and inched out.”
Deputy Frayne sighed. “You should have just called 9-1-1.”

The book is out, and my review will be up on Tuesday, so I hope you'll come back to get my full thoughts.

Time to close things out with this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

Do you anticipate any upcoming 2024 books? If so, what are they?

Quite a few, actually.  But one I'm especially looking forward to is Once Upon a Murder by Samantha Larsen.  This is the second Lady Librarian Mystery.  The first was one of my favorites of 2023 so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Hope you have a great weekend.

9 comments:

  1. That Friday56 quote made me smile. Sounds like a fun one!

    Happy New Year and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushroom Capped sounds like a fun read.

    Besides Stephen King's new short story collection coming out in May, I can't think of any other books off the top of my head that I'm looking forward to reading this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun read! You always share the best cozies.

    And oh my goodness, there are so many books I can't wait to read! Yours sounds good. You had me at "Lady Librarian."

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm just beginning The Earl Next Door by Ashtyn Newbold. I'm excited to read it. Newbold is such a fun author!
    "Is it kindness or folly that might induce a genteel young lady to approach a gentleman to inform him of such a personal matter as a tear in his breeches?"
    I hope you have a great weekend filled with relaxing reading time. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that second excerpt. I had to laugh when I read it. I can just picture it. This sounds like a fun cozy mystery. I look forward to reading your review next week. Have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds fun - Mushroom Capped

    Enjoy your anticipated reads... Once Upon a Murder sounds good.

    Happy New Year of Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohhh...this sounds like a good series. I have to read the first one. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great opening! I need to look into this series. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a fun one and I love foodie cozy! There are so many 2024 books I'm looking forward to I can't list just one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.