Friday, August 16, 2024

August 16th's Friday Post

Welcome to Friday!  It's time for another Friday Post, where I link up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the first three, I will be pulling quotes from The Jig is Up by Lisa Q. Matthews.


This is the first in a new series set in an Irish themed tourist trap.  We jump right into the theme, as you can tell in the opening line:

“Mommy, the shamrock’s not smiling.”

And yes, that is all I'm going to tell you about it.

Meanwhile, at 56% into the book, we get this fun exchange:

“Brought you lunch,” I said to Colleen, holding out the lunch bag. “Turkey.”
“Ooh, thanks.” 
I held the bag a little higher, just beyond her grasp. “What’s this about the piano?” 
She snatched the bag and grinned. “I was hoping my musical-genius sister could accompany Conor on his accordion for a few numbers in the show, like Deirdre wanted.”

The book is coming out on Tuesday of next week, but I'll be reviewing it on Monday.  I hope you'll come back to see what I thought.

Meanwhile, let's finish things off with the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

What are your thoughts on book-to-book comparisons (for example, "It's the next Harry Potter")?

For me, it depends on the source.  Sometimes, I have made those comparisons myself.  Obviously, I'd trust my judgement on this.  Seriously, if it was someone I trusted, I'd probably take it seriously.

But quite often, I feel like those are just hype from the publisher whether it turns out to be remotely true or not.  If it's from the publisher or part of the marketing, I take it with a huge grain of salt.

That's it for me.  Have a fabulous weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this book. I'll add it to my list and I look forward to reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this book to come out. I am looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who at least thought of the comparisons between books being from other readers, although I completely spaced on them coming from the publishers. Have a great weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How excited am I to see that you pulled quotes from The Jig is Up today? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? The shamrock's not smiling? What doesn't that mean? Oh boy, now I have to look for the book to find out. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the same word, hype.
    https://getlostinlit.blogspot.com/2024/08/one-tiny-sentence.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like an interesting book.

    I don't tend to take much notice as the books mentioned I haven't always read. For me the blurb is the best way to determine whether I will like the book or not.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/08/16/book-blogger-hop-book-to-book-comparisons/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good! That first line has me so curious! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started this one yesterday and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.