Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Book Review: The Key to Deceit by Ashley Weaver (Electra McDonnell Mysteries #2)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun characters in a different historical mystery
Cons: The love triangle isn’t working for me
The Bottom Line:
Mystery bracelet
Starts second historical
That’s overall fun




Unlocking a Spy Ring

I really enjoyed the first Electra McDonnell Mystery when I read it last year.  As is usually the case for me, it took me longer to get to the sequel, The Key to Deceit, then I wanted.  But I finally did, and I’m glad because I enjoyed it, too.

Electra “Ellie” McDonnell has been trained by her uncle in the family business – they are locksmiths.  And that means they have certain other skills that they might have used to skirt the law in the past.  But all that is behind them since they were recruited by Major Ramsey to help in the effort against the Nazis in London in 1940.  As this book opens, it’s been a few weeks since the first adventure ended, and Ellie is missing the action.

So Ellie isn’t disappointed to see Major Ramsey show up again.  Once again, her involvement sounds simple enough.  A mysterious woman has been found floating in the Thames, and Major Ramsey is looking to have Ellie help get a mysterious bracelet that is locked on the victim’s wrist removed and opened.  It’s an easy enough task for Ellie, but the contents lead to more questions.  It appears the woman, identity still unknown, was part of a spy ring.  Can Ellie help figure out who the victim was working with?

I’ve got to admit, I’ve wondered how long this premise of an expert in locks helping in World War II can realistically continue.  Of course, I’ve found that authors are infinitely creative, and I’m sure I will be entertained for books to come.  But I was happy to find that the premise of this book made perfect sense to me.  I also appreciated what Ellie brought to the case and how logically the story flowed.  We got a tense climax which I also enjoyed.

This book does have a dreaded love triangle.  Even worse, at least for me, I’m sure I know which way that storyline is going to play out as the series progresses, and I’m not going to be happy.  I hope I’m wrong.

The majority of the characters are on the shady side of the law, and they are a lot of fun.  While what is going on in the world at that point in history is dark, they help lighten things, which I appreciate.  The main cast come across as real, but some of the supporting characters are a bit thin.  That’s fine for the part they play in the story.

Speaking of history, a very real bit of history bumps into this book, and I really appreciated how it was handled.  It really brought it home for me.

The Key to Deceit is a fun second historical mystery.  I’m looking forward to seeing what Ellie gets pulled into next.

Unlock the rest of the Electra McDonnell Mysteries.

2 comments:

  1. The love triangle definitely won't work for me either! I'm glad to know that there's one in the book. This series is on my TBR so hopefully the triangle will get wrapped up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh! A dreaded love triangle!!

    Thanks for sharing this review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.