Sunday, August 18, 2024

Movie Review: Manhattan Murder Mystery

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Wonderful mystery
Cons: Most of the rest of the elements don’t work for me
The Bottom Line:
Murderer next door?
Great mystery, rest lacking
Allen fans only




“We Could Be Living Next Door to a Murderer, Larry.”  “Well, New York is a Melting Pot.  Get Used to It.”

Since I love mysteries, I had been interested in seeing Manhattan Murder Mystery since it came out in the early 90’s.  I was hesitant since I’d heard that Woody Allen was someone you either liked or didn’t like, but when I saw the movie on TV, I figured that was the perfect time to watch it.  I’m glad I didn’t spend more than my time on the film.

Larry and Carol Lipton (Woody Allen and Diane Keaton) are your typical middle age couple living in Manhattan.  With their son in college, they are trying to figure out the next stage of their lives.

One day they meet Paul and Lilian House (Jerry Adler and Lynn Cohen), the charming couple who have moved in just across the hall from them.  Paul is a little boring, but Carol really likes Lilian, which makes it even more shocking just a couple of nights later when they arrive home to see Lilian being wheeled out of the apartment.  She’d just died of a heart attack.  Carol suspects that there is more to the story than Paul is saying, but Larry takes everything at face value.  Who is right?

The problem with this film was obvious in the first few minutes.  In an effort to depict a couple that bickers with each other, Larry and Carol are often talking over each other and repeating themselves.  We’re supposed to find this funny, I’m sure, but it was just annoying.  Especially the repetition.  And did I mention that they repeat themselves?  It might be realistic, but completely realistic dialogue is annoying and boring.  And, in this case, repetitive.

(Yes, I’ll move on now).

As a black comedy, this film didn’t quite work either.  I found a couple of the lines funny, but I didn’t find most of it that funny.  Frankly, that doesn’t bother me too much, but it was another strike against the film.

The actors were all fine in their roles.  I wouldn’t say that anyone stood out to me, but their performances never took me out of the film.  The dialogue did that all by itself.  (No, really, I’m moving on.)

Which is a shame because the plot was actually very good.  It is a cross between the cozies I normally read and the noir films of old, several of which are referenced in the film.  It’s brilliant and I have a feeling that in the hands of different director, I would have loved it.

Despite the murder mystery element, I obviously wasn’t the target audience for Manhattan Murder Mystery.  I’ve gotten it out of my system now and will stir clear of Woody Allen’s films in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.