Thursday, August 15, 2024

TV Show Review: Survivor - Season 46

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great twists and overall entertaining
Cons: A few of the contestants were a bit much
The Bottom Line:
Another season
Ramps up drama just a bit
But good overall




Another Enjoyable Season

Why I’ve decided to start reviewing seasons of reality shows now when so many of them are so familiar they really need no introduction is beyond me.  (Okay, it actually has to do with the fact that I’m no longer waiting to see if a DVD set for TV shows is released.)  I feel like fans are going to watch and the rest avoid a reality show at this point.  But here I am, sharing my thoughts on the latest season of Survivor, which is season forty-six.  Hard to believe it, even for someone like me who has been watching since season 1.

The seasons starts as we once again see 18 new people who have agreed to be stranded in Fiji for 26 days.  Yes, we are still on the compressed timeline but fewer things to start with that they instituted after coming back from Covid.  We start out with three tribes, and one of them seems cursed.  Granted, we’ve seen this kind of thing before, but this is the worst we’ve seen in a while.  Once the merge happened, there was some interesting choices made.

Here's where I was a bit frustrated by the game play.  There was someone I wanted out early on since I felt like he deserved to go.  And yet the tribe kept using him as a shield.  Yes, I get that it made sense strategically, but I really didn’t like him.

There also seemed to be a few more moments of drama.  Again, I get it.  I’m one of the people defending their actions on social media.  They are out there hungry and tired and paranoid.  But it still does take away from the show when we are watching these uncomfortable moments unfold.

I still enjoy listening to the On Fire podcast, where Jeff, a fan, and a former player, talk about the show each week after the episode has aired.  Jeff talks about how he loves to have some of the players on Survivor they do because they provide drama and are interesting people.  I agree up to a point.  Some of the people are fun to watch.  But others are so over the top they are annoying.  That was a case with a few people this season, at least for me.

But, overall, I still enjoyed this season.  The challenges are consistently great, and I enjoyed watching the politics of who to vote out when.  I always find that fascinating, and it’s easy to yell at the TV from my living room to try to get them to do what I think they should do.  After all, I have all the facts.

If you want to see how hard it is to know for sure what is happening on the island, watch this season.  That’s all I’m going to say.  If you know, you know.  It creates some great twists.

As to the finale, I still wish they’d allow more time for a reunion and talk to some of the players voted out in the first half.  I miss that.  The reunion is now so rushed it isn’t nearly as fun as it used to be.

While not one of the best seasons of Survivor ever, season forty-six was still a solid season that will entertain fans of the show.  I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in season forty-several.  (Again, if you know, you know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.