Monday, August 5, 2024

Ornament Review: Happy Halloween! #12 - Headless Horseman - 2024 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: A humorous twist on an oft overlooked spooky story
Cons: None from me
The Bottom Line:
A lesser story
Gets a funny ornament
A must buy for me




You’ll be Headless Over Heels for This Year’s Happy Halloween Ornament

I was thinking of stopping Hallmark’s Happy Halloween! ornaments since we were beginning to see some similar looking ornaments popping up.  In fact, since I had trouble getting last year’s edition, I didn’t go out of my way to track it down.  But when I saw the 2024 addition to the series, I had to get it.

You see, this year, we are paying homage to a literary classic, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Yes, the character inside the pumpkin face is the Headless Horseman.  The pumpkin itself doesn’t have anything tying it into the story, but he does have a mouth that is nice and wide opened.

Inside the pumpkin’s mouth, we can see the “creepy” scene.  There’s a sliver of moon, some bare trees, and bats painted on the backdrop.  In the foreground, we can see a truly headless figure (no fakes or trickery here), wearing green and purple.  In its hand, we have a pumpkin that has been carved and is obviously glowing with the yellow in its eyes and mouth.

Notice I put creepy in quotes earlier.  You see, like all the others in the series, there is an item that makes the ornament more fun that truly creepy.  In this case, it’s the horse.  You see, this is a stick horse instead of a real horse.  The headless horseman is standing there with the stick between his legs.  That detail makes me laugh.

Between that detail and the literary reference to something we don’t see often around Halloween, I couldn’t pass this one up.  It’s so much fun.

As always with these ornaments, the pumpkin provides a nice base, so you can set it out to be displayed.  You’ll also find the 12 in a Christmas tree series marker on the bottom.

When you go to hang the ornament, you’ll find that it tips back ever so slightly.  It’s not too bad, and it is the kind of thing that is most noticeable if you are looking for it.

Between the humor of the piece and its literary origins, I couldn’t pass up this year’s Happy Halloween! ornament.  This is going to be one of my favorites in the series.  Even if I hadn’t collected others, I think I’d want to get it.

Here are more of the Happy Halloween! ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.