Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Book Review: A Murderer’s Guide to Mardi Gras by Ellen Byron (Vintage Cookbook Mysteries #5)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Characters, plenty of Mardi Gras atmosphere, and a great ending
Cons: While plenty happens, the mystery’s pacing could be better
The Bottom Line:
Join Mardi Gras krewe
Is it hiding a killer?
A fun mystery




Did Ricki Join a Krewe with a Killer?

Normally, I try to spread out books by authors, even favorite authors.  But when one of those favorite authors has two books in two series from two publishers coming out back-to-back, I easily make an exception.  So, I picked up A Murderer’s Guide to Mardi Gras just a couple of weeks after reading another book by Ellen Byron.

This is book five in the Vintage Cookbook Mysteries.  As you might have guessed from the title of the book, it is set in New Orleans.  It features Ricki James-Diaz who has recently moved to the city from Los Angeles and has opened a vintage cookbook and kitchenware store inside Bon Vee, one of the historic mansions in the city.  While you can jump in here and follow the story, there are some ongoing storylines you’ll enjoy more if you back up to the first book and read the series in order.

As this book kicks off, Mardi Gras season has hit the city.  It’s the first since Ricki moved, and she’s gotten caught up in the fever.  It helps that her boyfriend, celebrated chef Virgil Morel, is being named the king of the Krewe of Chew, so many of their friends from Bon Vee are jumping into this particular krewe.  Of course, that means more parties and events leading up to their actual parade than Ricki bargained for.

The captain of the krewe is an egotistical bully.  And those are his good qualities.  After leaving one of the events, Ricki and Virgil stumble upon his dead body.  The victim’s wife is the police’s prime suspect, but Ricki has become friends with the woman, and she doesn’t believe it.  The problem is, the number of suspects in the krewe are numerous.  Can Ricki figure out what really happened?

Let’s get my criticism of the book out of the way.  This is a prime example of a book where a lot happens, but the mystery’s pacing was off.  Now, hear me carefully, I was being entertained and I had lots of fun.  And I loved the climax when we reached it.  Things came together in a way that made perfect sense.

I knew only the bare minimum about Mardi Gras going into this book, but that wasn’t an issue at all.  Since Ricki is also a novice, she is learning right along with us.  I have a much greater appreciation for all the work that goes on behind the scenes for the many, many events that happen during the season now.  And yes, the story does continue to unfold around these events.  After all, the murder involves Ricki’s new krewe.

There’s a large cast of characters, so the list at the beginning of the book is helpful.  A few of the series characters take a back seat, but the ones who do get to take a front seat are plenty of fun.  We also meet some charming, quirky, and mysterious new suspects who are entertaining.

And the ongoing storylines I mentioned?  I liked how one in particular developed here.  I felt like Ricki especially got some chances to grow, and we saw another character in a new light as a result of what happens in this book.

A Murderer’s Guide to Mardi Gras is another entertaining cozy from Ellen Byron.  Whether you are new to Mardi Gras or an old hand, you’ll be glad you picked up this book.

Enjoy the rest of the Vintage Cookbook Mysteries.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.


I'm reviewing this book are part of a blog tour.  Check out the rest of the tour stops by visiting the tour's home page.

And don't miss the tour wide giveaway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.