Thursday, April 18, 2013

Movie Review: Prince Caspian (2008)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: The magic and wonder of Narnia
Cons: Never fully overcomes the weaknesses of the book; the romance
The Bottom Line:
Weak book so weak film
Still has Narnia magic
I really enjoyed




Darker and More Savage, but Still Narnia

While the first Narnia adventure (based on the original order) is still my favorite, Prince Caspian is still my least favorite. I find the book instantly forgettable, drawn out, and downright boring at times. And keep in mind that this is coming from a die hard Narnia fanatic. So it was with some hesitation that I looked forward to this movie. Not only is the book not a favorite, but it looked like they messed with the story. I'm happy to say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

In the centuries since we were last in Narnia, things have changed. The Telmarines have overrun the country, sending the real Narnias (you know, the talking animals and mythological creatures) into hiding. The country is currently under the rule of King Miraz (Sergio Castellitto) until his nephew, Prince Caspian (Ben Barnes) is old enough to take over. But on the night that Miraz's son is born, Caspian flees and goes into hiding. In great danger, he blows the ancient horn of help.

Meanwhile, in our world, it's only a year later for Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie (William Moseley, Anna Popplewell, Skandar Keynes, and Georgie Henley).  They are waiting for a train when they are suddenly called somewhere else. At first, they don't realize where they are, but it doesn't take long for them to decide they are once again in Narnia. Only years have past since their first visit as evidenced by the castle around them in ruins.

When they learn of the plight of the true Narnias and Caspian, they set out to join forces and free the country. But with Aslan (voiced again by Liam Neeson) long gone, what can four children and a prince do?

Let's get the obvious out of the way first. They royally changed the story here. Frankly, many of the changes were for the better. They cut much of the first half of the book, which is the slowest part of the story. They made the battles (yes, they added one) more epic.

But some of the changes weren't as beneficial. Some of the changes make this movie feel more like a retread of the first, something I've never felt with the book. Peter here is moody and touchy, not the leader he is in the book. While I think I saw where they were going with that story line, it never fully comes to fruition. There is one major change I thought I wouldn't like. It takes a scene from the book and draws it out, making the characters go further down a path of darkness. While some will be quite upset, saying it is out of place, I think it worked. It certainly helped amplify the themes of faith vs. reason and power.

Frankly, those themes could have been better drawn out. They are hinted at and touched on, but they ultimately are glossed over in favor of the battle sequences.

And for anyone disappointed by the battles in the first movie, you'll be happy to hear this one more than makes up for it. The battles are epic and gorgeously choreographed. Trust me; they will glue you to the screen.

But I digress. I was discussing the book versus the movie. Reskimming the second half of the book tonight after seeing the movie, I was reminded of a few scenes and plot points I wish were in the movie. But I also saw lines of dialog lifted straight from the book. As with the first one, you need to forget the book and view the movie as its own entity. They are both good stories. Even with the changes, the movie never overcomes the fact that the story is essentially straight forward and weak. But I like this version better than the book. (Is an avid reader allowed to admit that?)

Having made that confession, I will list my biggest disappointment. Trumpkin the Dwarf (Peter Dinklage) and Reepicheep the Mouse (voiced by Eddie Izzard) are not given enough time to develop here. What is here is wonderful. Reepicheep has several laugh out loud lines, including the running gag about the final words of his foes. But these two characters make the book for me, so that is a strike I have to work hard to get over.

As an aside, there is a romantic sub-plot here as well. Frankly, I found it funny they put it in, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Ultimately, I really did enjoy this film. I was drawn into the world, the characters, and their struggle. I laughed multiple times. And I was moved to tears as well, especially at the end. It was a great escape film with some good themes to think about later.

And the special effects were phenomenal. Of course, for a fantasy film, they are pretty critical. They were certainly on par with the first one and maybe a little better in spots. Trust me, this is one movie that won't disappoint you visually.

The acting was good across the board. The four returning kids were even better than last time. The only weakness was Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian. He was adequate, don't get me wrong. But he was often outclassed by those around him and appeared a little out of his element.

The movie is rated PG for the battle sequences. While there is lots of sword waving and clanging, there is little if any blood.

Considering how much I dislike the book, I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. No, Prince Caspian still isn't the best story in the Chronicles of Narnia, but it is entertaining and well worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.