Friday, May 17, 2013

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great mystery and engaging characters
Cons: A few storytelling and editing complaints
The Bottom Line:
Clues, no assumptions
Lead me to enjoy this film
Escapist but fun




Let's All State the Obvious - I Enjoyed This Film

It's time for a true confession.  While I am a mystery fan, I have only ever read a few Sherlock Holmes short stories.  So I don't have a deep love for the character.  Still, the previews for the latest movie version of the classic character seemed to make him a modern, wise cracking action hero.  I wasn't sure I would like that.  But when a friend wanted to see the film, I said I'd go.  Turns out I'm glad I did because it was a good film.

Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey, Jr.) and Dr. Watson (Jude Law) have been sharing rooms at 221 B Baker Street for some time.  Dr. Watson has also become a good friend and investigative partner to Holmes.  So Watson's upcoming move to a new address to get married is very hard on the detective.

In his last few days as a bachelor, Dr. Watson agrees to be the attending physician at the hanging of Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong), the last killer that Holmes and Watson caught together.  But a few days after his death, Blackwood's grave is destroyed and rumors start that he is still alive.  As the city goes into a panic, Holmes begins to investigate.  The investigation also brings Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams) back into his life.  Can he withstand this criminal's charms again to get to the truth behind the rumors?

For those only familiar with the character from the previous movies, this will seem like a different Holmes.  In many ways, however, it does go back to the roots of the character.  He's a smoker who drives those around him to distraction with his experiments.  He also is a little self-absorbed.  But they give him enough wise cracks early in the movie to make him into a truly enjoyable character.  And you truly feel for him as he struggles with losing his best friend as Watson prepares to move out.  They've definitely added some bromance to the story, and it really works.  When things get more serious for the final reel, you want to stick around and see how things turn out.

The mystery is constructed very well.  While my friend picked up on many of the clues, I missed many of them.  This led me to feeling like an idiot for not picking up on them when we reached the climax.  True, some things were sprung on us at the last minute.  But we had enough clues to solve things before the end if we were paying enough attention.

The acting was very good as well.  Robert Downey, Jr. is perfect as the famous detective, and Jude Law manages to make Dr. Watson into a sympathetic straight man.  The rest of the cast does fine as well, but I have to praise Kelly Reilly.  She could have gotten lost in the shuffle as Watson's fiancee, but she makes the character real enough that her very few scenes were some of the most memorable.

The movie looked wonderful.  They did an amazing job of recreating Victorian London.  As far as special effects, my only comment is what special effects?  Oh, I know they used effects for the climax, and I'm sure they were used elsewhere, but I never even though about them.  I was so caught up in the story that it any effects in the film weren't even something that registered in my brain.

My only complaints are on technical grounds.  The soundtracks was mixed so that the dialog was hard to follow at times.  And some of the ways they chose to tell the story were a little confusing.  Fortunately, they didn't keep stopping the action for Holmes to narrate his thoughts on his upcoming physical attack on someone.  Twice was more than enough.  But a couple of the flashbackish type thingies were a little confusing, especially with the way they were edited.  And the boxing scene was gratuitous to the rest of the movie.

Complaints aside, Sherlock Holmes was an enjoyable movie.  Part action, part comedy, and part mystery, it delivers escapist entertainment.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.