Saturday, May 18, 2013

Home Review: Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Works well for baking and eliminating odors
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Works well in baking
Eliminates bad odors
What is not to love?




For Baking and Cleaning, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is the Way to Go

Okay, so I'm a bachelor.  That means my place is often a mess.  (Actually, often may be too nice a word.)  But that also means I am always on the lookout for simple yet effective ways to deceive people into thinking the place is in better shape than it is.  And one thing I have found that works very well for odor control is Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

Refrigerator Savior

I actually first discovered the odor eliminating effects of baking soda when I was looking for a way to get the fishy smell out of my refrigerator.  Someone suggested baking soda, and I have been hooked every sense.

And the solution couldn't be simpler.  All you need to do is stick a box in your refrigerator.  As the air circulates, the chemical compound that is baking soda draws the odors from the air into itself, leaving the rest of the refrigerator smelling clean and keeping the foods from gaining any unwelcome odors.

There is a downside, however.  Food that should have been thrown away can sometimes sit longer in the refrigerator than it should.  I recently threw away an old box before I had a replacement.  Within a couple of days, my refrigerator started to stink.  I soon discovered some food that was months old and looked like a science experiment gone very wrong.  It was a former roommate's who had moved out several months before.  Once I threw it away, the problem was solved.  Now I make sure to keep an eye open for things like that.  My refrigerator is a place to store food, not a place for science experiments.

Other Cleaning Options

While I myself do not have pets, I have several friends who got puppies in the last few years.  All of them swear by this stuff.  Before the dogs were housebroken, they used it to clean up the accidents around the house.  They would mix a little with water and sponge at the spot.  It must have worked, too, because I never smelled anything when I was over to visit.

According to the company's website, this stuff is supposed to be great for general cleaning.  Again, mixed with water, it is abrasive enough to clean most surfaces (it isn't recommended for aluminum), without ruining the surface.  In fact, if you look, you can find many items that include baking soda in the ingredients.

Don't Forget Baking

Hey, this stuff is called baking soda for a reason.  And in the little bit of baking I do, I have used some as well.  I've noticed it is used when you want something to rise a little bit, but not too far.  But remember, I'm a bachelor.  I could be wrong on why it is used.

Either way, I have always had whatever I put it in turn out well, so it must be doing its job.

How does it work?

Baking soda is the naturally occurring chemical element sodium bicarbonate.  It helps regulate the pH balance in things.  Don't worry, my eyes glazed over a little too as I wrote that.  It's been a long time since chemistry.  The simple explanation is it keeps things from going to either extreme.  Its goal of balancing acidity is what makes it such a great odor eater.  When you use it in baking, it mixes with acidic elements, creating air, which makes things rise.

Because it is natural, it is safe for the household uses I've talked about as well.

Conclusion

Honestly, I don't care why it works.  All I know is it works quite well whenever I need it for a recipe or to eliminate an odor.  And that's enough for me to recommend Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.