Saturday, May 11, 2013

Music Review: The Extra Mile by Al Denson

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Wonderful lyrics
Cons: A few dated tracks
The Bottom Line:
Takes me back in time
With truths worth remembering
Some dated music




Going Back to My Senior Year with This Timeless Release

Have you ever noticed how some music always reminds you of a certain time and/or place?  That's the case for me with this disc.  I got Al Denson's The Extra Mile right before I started my senior year of high school.  And even with all those years in between, listening to it reminds me of that year.

The song that does that more than any other is "Shine Out the Light."  This song was the official theme song of See You at the Pole for my senior year, so I heard it all over Christian radio September of that year.  It was an appropriate pick as it is a call to share the hope we have in Christ.  It's a keyboard heavy anthem that really stirs you to action.

I am happy to say that the disc really has stood the test of time.  Okay, okay, so I do have a bit of a bias since I've been listening to it for so long.  But it really isn't nearly as dated as it could have been.  Released in 1992, it does make use of keyboards, but only occasionally do they head in the synthesizer direction.  Instead, they are part of a music landscape populated by the likes of guitar, bass, piano, and drums.  The result is a sound that is mostly timeless and not dated.

The disc actually opens with "I Still Believe in Forever."  We're in soft rock territory here with heavy drums and Al contrasts the reality of God's promises with the hurt we can experience here on earth.

But things slow down almost immediately as we hit the quiet finger picked guitar of "I Choose to Follow."  Even when the keyboard and drums come in, we really don't get much louder than the initial few bars.  I especially like this song since it acknowledges the distractions of the world while still committing to follow God.

"Extra Mile" falls into the anthem category.  The keyboard based song celebrates the power of friendship.  I have had some true friendships like this over the years, and this song always makes me smile as I think of how much they have meant to me.

There are three songs from this release that always stick together in my mind.  I'm not exactly sure why, since the themes are different, as are the way they are presented.  The first is "If We Believe," which gives us a call to share our faith in a series of "If...then" statements like "If we believe Jesus lives/His power lives within."  It's up tempo and also one of the more dated tracks on the disc.  The drums sound more like a drum machine, and the keyboard is definitely heading into synthesizer territory.

Up next is "Call Me."  Again, this upbeat track has a bit of an 80's vibe to it, but it's not as pronounced.  It's really a fun reminder that Jesus has promised to help us through temptations in our lives.

Finally goes "Stand Up."  Again, we've got a heavy synthesizer feel to it.  (Hey, maybe that's why I associate these songs in my mind.)  As the title suggests, it's a call to live for Jesus in a world that has rejected Him.  What really makes this song fun for me is the deep, deep voice used to sing the last line of the chorus.  I'd love to be able to tell you for sure it is Al Denson singing that line, but I can't.  I even saw him sing this song in concert, but he always managed to turn his back to the audience before that line was sung.

About the half way point, there's a beautiful ballad about forgiveness.  "To Forgive" starts out talking about a time when he was hurt (in general terms), while verse two reminds us that God has forgiven us, so we truly need to forgive others.  I have a hard time forgiving at times, and this song really convicts me of that.

But the ultimate song on forgiveness here is the final track.  Again, we're dealing with a slow ballad.  It's heavy on the piano and various strings here, making a beautiful backdrop to the lyrics.  You can really hear the passion in Al's voice as he sings of the forgiveness we can experience from God.

While a few of the tracks do date the disc, The Extra Mile is still a solid collection of songs.  If you can track it down, you'll be glad you did.

CD Length: 49:03
Tracks:
1. I Still Believe in Forever
2. I Choose to Follow
3. River of Light
4. Extra Mile
5. If We Believe
6. To Forgive
7. The Love We Know
8. Call Me
9. Stand Up
10. Shine Out the Light
11. That's What My Father Would Do

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.