Saturday, May 11, 2013

TV Special Review: Snoopy's Reunion

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Some entertaining moments
Cons: Just as many slow moments
The Bottom Line:
Even for big fans
My advice is watch before
Buy this release




Only Die Hard Peanuts Fans Will Want to Attend Snoopy's Reunion

I consider myself a Peanuts fan.  I loved the strip, and I can't let a Christmas go by without watching A Charlie Brown Christmas.  Over the years, I've bought several of the discs with the various Peanuts TV specials on them and enjoyed them.  So I was definitely interested in Snoopy's Reunion.  But a desire to cut back on my spending habits prompted me to borrow this disc from the library first.  I'm glad I did because there was just enough good stuff here to enjoy it once.

As usual, this disc contains two half hour Peanuts specials.  Up first is the title show.  "Snoopy's Reunion" tells us the story of Snoopy's life from his time at the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm to being put up for adoption along with his seven brothers and sisters.  Snoopy is the first adopted from these musical puppies (they all play different instruments), but he is returned when Lila discovers she can't have dogs in her building.  It's later that Charlie Brown and Linus show up to buy him.  Late in the special, Charlie Brown decides to lift Snoopy's mood by inviting all the siblings back for a reunion.

I will admit I am not up on my Peanuts lore, but even I knew stuff wasn't right in this special.  If you've ever seen the story of Lila from Snoopy, Come Home, forget that, for they show things differently here.  Not to mention that Charlie Brown buys Snoopy and hosts the reunion four years later without aging one bit.  Heck, Sally is her same age here, too, and I know Snoopy came to the family before Sally was born.

As far as I know, this is the only time we actually hear adults speak in the entire Peanuts universe.  It was needed to help the story along, so I'm more than willing to forgive it.

The music in the special is fun, and I found my toe tapping.  However, the story itself is paper thin.  I enjoyed parts, and laughed at what the siblings were up to when they got the invites.  However, other parts were long and drawn out, serving very little purpose other than to fill the 24 minutes.

"It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown" is the second special on the disc.  I've definitely heard of this one (unlike the title show), but had never managed to see it.  It's different.

There really is no story to this one.  It's a collection of scenes and musical numbers.  The main point seems to have been to spoof Saturday Night Fever and Flashdance.  There are several musical numbers here, and can we say 80's?  It did come out in 1984 after all.  We do get some funny scenes.  A highlight for me was Peppermint Patty fighting with her binder in school when she has to give a presentation.  (Trust me, don't fall asleep over an open binder.)

Of the songs, they were okay.  I got tired of the musical number Snoopy danced to long before it was over.  "I'm in Shape" was certainly catchy and "Pig Pen Hoedown" was toe tapping.  My favorite was "Lucy Says," which features Lucy taking over a game of Simon Says, and making it her own.  The best part was the bridge where she upsets Schroeder by talking about the two of them getting married.

There's also a special feature on this disc.  "Together Again: A Peanuts Voice-Cast Reunion" spends about 10 minutes sharing interviews with the adults who gave these characters voices over the years.  Since it was recorded at 2008's ComicCon, it sure seems like they could have put something longer together.  It was nice, but not nearly long enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I watched these shows, and I certainly enjoyed them.  But I think once is enough.  Unless you are a die hard Peanuts fan, you'll probably want to borrow or rent Snoopy's Reunion before you actually buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.