Thursday, May 2, 2013

Music Review: Morning Like This by Sandi Patty

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: 10 great songs
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
An Easter classic
And nine more wonderful tracks
It's still worth owning




A Sandi Patty Classic for Any Time or Season

Okay, I am going to date myself a little here.  When I first started listening to Sandi Patty's music, Morning Like This was her newest release.  So now when I point out the copyright date of 1986, you'll see why I am suddenly feeling old.  (And yes, I did originally own this as a record, why do you ask?)  Yet, I pull this disc out a few times every year because the praise it offers is still so wonderful.

I must admit I tend to think of this disc around Easter time, mainly because of the title song.  "Was it a Morning Like This?" is talking specifically about Easter morning.  The verses talk about the events of that morning, but the chorus wonders how nature was reacting to knowing that Jesus had risen from the dead.  The verses tend to be quiet, but the volume really ramps up for a dramatic chorus helped by the wonderful strings.

"Hosanna" helps with the themeing for me.  This is a pure song of praise.  For the longest time, I associated this song with Palm Sunday.  Between Hosanna (what the people cried) and the images of Jesus riding to victory, I couldn't help it.  Of course, when I looked more closely at the words, I discovered that the song is really talking about his second coming in victory.  Christian music group Second Chapter of Acts help out with the vocals on this song.  There is a heavy keyboard presence here that dates the song a little bit.

Of course, there is much more to the disc than these two songs.  As a result, I do tend to pull it out other times of the year as well.  The undisputed classic from this disc is "Love in Any Language."  This song reminds us that, no matter the borders or cultural differences, love can bring us all together.  This song is on the slower side of mid tempo.  It starts with piano but adds strings as it builds.  And build it does, to a dramatic climax where Sandi is backed by a huge choir.

Speaking of choirs, there is a much smaller but equally impressive sounding choir on the disc opener, "Let There Be Praise."  The choir actually starts off singing this song acappella before the orchestra starts in.  This is a pure song of praise.  And Christian music buffs will be interested to note that Steve Green is part of the choir here.  While he had started his solo career by this point, he got his start singing backup on some of Sandi's early recordings.

On the slower side of things is "Shepherd of My Heart."  This song grabbed me the very first time I heard it.  Very piano heavy, it is a praise song to God for his loving guidance and correction.  Yet it is also a song committing to stay one of His sheep.

There are a couple of fun, fast songs in the middle (or starting side two if you are old school).  "King of Glory" kicks off the second half with an upbeat praise song reminding us that Jesus is God.

"Face to Faith" never seems to have been super popular, but I always liked it.  It's got a very slight jazz feel to it, although it still fits in Sandi's inspirational nitch.  It uses stories from the Bible to remind us that we need the power faith in God gives us to face the trials of life.

But back in the popular camp is "In the Name of the Lord."  This slow ballad is beautiful with heavy strings and piano.  This song reminds us that we can't do anything without the power of the name of God.

Most of Sandi music has aged rather well, and this disc is no exception.  The one song I noted aside, the reliance on real orchestra instruments over music machines keeps the disc from sounding too much like a product of the 80's.  So if you enjoy today's praise music, you'll still enjoy its inspirational predecessor.

During the 80's, Sandi Patty was a force to be reckoned with in Christian music, and Morning Like This shows why.  The music here is timeless, God honoring, and inspiring.  While the slower style won't appeal to many, those looking for older gems should track this one down.

CD Length: 41:41
Tracks:
1. Let There Be Praise
2. Hosanna
3. Unshakable Kingdom
4. Shepherd of My Heart
5. Love in Any Language
6. King of Glory
7. Face to Faith
8. Was it a Morning Like This
9. In the Name of the Lord
10. There is a Savior

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.