Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Music Review: Something to Say by Matthew West

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Honest, encouraging, and convicting lyrics well matched with a variety of pop sounds
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
The lyrics are strong
And the pop music is fun
Won him a new fan




I'm Glad I Started Listening to Matthew West Because He Definitely Has Something to Say

I really do try my hardest to keep up on the Christian music scene, but I am limited by time and lack of a solid radio station.  As a result, I had heard of Matthew West, but I hadn't heard him until I won Something to Say, his fourth release, from a blog I regularly read.  I got the disc and stuck it in.  I was immediately hooked.

Matthew presents a solid pop flavor to his music.  He's able to couple a couple of lighter moments with serious and mix up the tempos and styles with ease.  This is polished music at its finest.

But let's start by getting the big song out of the way first.  "The Motions" is currently climbing the Christian charts and challenging lives.  The first time I heard it, I fell in love.  It's still my favorite song on the disc.  A moving piano and string ballad, it pleads with God for a new dose of His passion to infuse the singer's life so he can stop going through the motions.  The match of music and lyrics is perfect.  It makes the plea your own before you are even through the first chorus.  It's that powerful.

The disc does start on a fun note.  After a 24 second instrumental intro, we get the title track.  "Something to Say" is a reminder that God wants to use each of us to share about His love in our own unique ways.  It's got a fun beat and a nice mix of piano and guitar.

"You are Everything" is another of the more upbeat tracks.  This time, it's a song of praise to God for being so great when we are so weak.  Even more upbeat is the drum driven "The Center."  This time around, Matthew is asking for God to be the center of his life.

It's hard to adequately describe "Safe and Sound."  The song is from a parent to a new born child.  It's slower than some of the other tracks, but the guitar and sonic touches make it seem light and airy.  And the lyrics are absolutely tender.  It melts my heart.

Everything isn't light and fun here, however.  There are quite a few songs that struggle with the realities of life.  "Save a Place for Me" is one of the most honest takes I've heard on death in the Christian world.  It admits to grief with admissions of just how hard it hurts.  Yet it does remind us of that we will be reunited in Heaven.  Yes, there is hope, but it doesn't shy away from the pain.  The song is appropriately sad, with a slow tempo and equal parts guitar and piano.

"Life Inside You" is a mid-tempo pop song that reminds us all we are sinners who need God's help.  "The Moment of Truth" is a reminder to keep promises when life gets hard.  And "A Friend in the World" talks about how Matthew and his wife both had hard times before they learned that God is the friend that sticks closer than a brother.

"All the Broken Pieces" is God talking to us.  In this mid-tempo guitar piece, He asks for the broken pieces so He can make something new out of them.

"Stop the World" is a wonderful disc closer.  A piano ballad, it pleads for God to step into our world and slow it down so we can truly listen to Him again.  As with "The Motions," it's easy to make this song the cry of your heart as you listen.  This track includes some extra of Matthew and his daughter having fun in the studio.  Honestly, I skip it every time through the disc.

I am working on tracking down Matthew West's earlier releases.  If Something to Say is any indication, I've found a new artist I will love for years to come.

CD Length: 44:42
Tracks:
1. Intro
2. Something to Say
3. The Motions
4. You are Everything
5. The Center
6. Save a Place for Me
7. Life Inside You
8. Safe and Sound
9. The Moment of Truth
10. A Friend in the World
11. All the Broken Pieces
12. Stop the World

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.