Friday, May 3, 2013

Music Review: While I'm Waiting by John Waller

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good new songs
Cons: One rehash, could use more variety
The Bottom Line:
Re-release one song
But old fans will like the rest
New fans will enjoy




John Waller Tries to Capitalize on His Fireproof Popularity with While I'm Waiting

One of my pet peeves with artists is when they release a new CD with one track taken directly from their previous one.  John Waller not only did that with this CD, but he even named it While I'm Waiting.  I will admit that threw me for a few minutes until I realized what was going on.  But trust me, there is plenty of new music on this disc.

At least this time, there is a logical reason for the potential confusion.  "While I'm Waiting" was used in the soundtrack of the hit Christian movie Fireproof.  Since people were looking for that song, this was an easy way to capture their attention and help build his fan base.  But those of us who bought the CD will not it is exactly the same version that appeared on The Blessing two years ago.  Not that this is a bad thing.  The lyrics are a call to be faithful in servicing God even when life is hard.  It's a beautiful rock ballad with strings on the verses and heavy guitar on the chorus.

But we aren't done with this song yet.  It shows up again as a remixed bonus track.  The "Fireproof Remix" version features dialogue from the movie interspersed with the song.  Frankly, I skip this track.  But maybe if I ever see the movie, I'll enjoy it more.

If, like me, you already have and like this song, I am happy to report that there are 10 more great tracks on this disc that make it worth your money.  "Faith is Living" is one of my two favorites.  It's mid tempo soft rock fits perfectly with the rest of the disc.  What I really love about the song is the honesty of the lyrics.  The verses discuss the struggles with actually believing God and taking Him at His word.  Of course, the chorus takes its cues from the famous definition of faith in Hebrews chapter 11.  So, while I identify with the struggle, it also challenges me to live as God would have me live.

Honesty is what draws me to "Cling to the Call."  The song is set up in much the same manner.  The verses admit to failure as someone who formerly was walking on waves has focused on the problems and started wavering.  The chorus calls us back to relying on God to pull us through the struggles of life.  The song is a slower pop number, but his vocals on this give it the tiniest hint of a country tinge.  Then again, maybe that's just me.

There are plenty of other good songs on the disc.  "Hands of the Healer" opens the disc, and it is the only one that John didn't have a hand in writing.  It could easily become a praise chorus with its simple yet powerful lyrics that lift up Jesus for His sacrifice for us.  Equally praise focused is "Of All the Places" which marvels at how God presented Himself to us in the form of Jesus.

"Quest" has some fun visuals as it attempts to describe our search for the peace knowing God brings.  My favorite comes from the first verse, "It's like a blind man in a dark room/Looking for a black cat that isn't there."  The song is keyboard and drum heavy, which fits the fun, upbeat melody well.

My biggest problems with the disc come late.  "House of God" is a fun, upbeat song.  Yet the lyrics are a retread of the idea that believers are God's true house.  "Dead Man Walking" takes its chorus and premise from Paul in Colossians where he talks about being crucified with Christ.  I'll admit, this song is growing on me.  But both of these songs still feel trite and cliched to me.

"Our God Reigns Here" is another mixed bag.  It's a rock anthem, and the biggest rock anthem of the disc.  The chorus, a cry of victory, is wonderful.  My problem comes in the second verse where he starts commanding things like anger, addiction, depression, and infirmity to leave.  Yes, this is showing my theological bent, but this Baptist born and raised boy is uncomfortable with the Charismatic feeling to the lyrics.

On the whole, however, this is a good second disc that will please fans of John Waller's first release.  And if you are searching for While I'm Waiting, give the entire disc a chance.  You just might find a new artist you'll love.

CD Length: 48:48
Tracks:
1. Hands of the Healer
2. Faith is Living
3. While I'm Waiting
4. Quest
5. Cling to the Cross
6. Of All the Places
7. House of God
8. Priestly Blessing
9. Dead Man Walking
10. Our God Reigns Here
11. Perfect Peace
12. While I'm Waiting (Fireproof Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.