Wednesday, May 15, 2013

TV Show Review: Best of Monk

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: All the episodes are good, some are great...
Cons: ...others are weak for a true best of set.
The Bottom Line:
I always like Monk
The shows here are a good start
For those new to him




The Eight Best Episodes Starring Mr. Monk?  This Fan Wouldn't Necessarily Agree

With only two and a half weeks left until the final Monk episode ever airs, Universal released this eight episode set collecting the Best of Monk.  Each season gets an episode here.  And some good ones made the list.  But there are some others that I think were chosen for other reasons. 

Before we get to the specific episodes, let's take a quick step back in case you are thinking of getting this set as an introduction to the series.  It follows the life of Adrian Monk (Tony Shalhoub).  He's a former homicide inspector for the San Francisco police department who was put on leave after his wife was killed in a car bomb.  That one murder is the only case Monk has never solved, and it made his obsessive compulsive disorder and his phobias that much worse.  But he is still called in to consult on some of the city's most bizarre and important cases.  He works with Captain Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine) and Lieutenant Disher (Jason Gray-Stanford), two friends from his days on the force.  Helping him navigate the real world are his two assistants.  Sharona (Bitty Schram), a nurse, was around for the first two and a half seasons.  After she left, Monk's new assistant was Natalie (Traylor Howard).

Now, on to the episodes included here.

Season 1 - "Mr. Monk and the Candidate"
In the two part series pilot, Monk is asked to figure out who is trying to kill a mayoral candidate when an assassination attempt is made on his life.

My thoughts:
Wow, some things are different.  Disher is called Deacon here and doesn't seem like the main player he'd become.  But the bones of the series are here with a decent mystery and some good laughs at Monk as he tries to navigate the real world. 

Season 2 - "Mr. Monk and the Three Pies"
Monk is working the case of an elderly woman who was carjacked when his brother Ambrose (John Turturro in a guest spot), an agoraphobic, calls and says he thinks someone has killed his neighbor.

My thoughts:
Without a doubt, this episode belongs in this set.  This one is still near the top of my list of all time favorite episodes.  Watching the two brothers go at it is pricelessly funny.  And the mystery is so convoluted it kept me confused from start to finish.

Season 3 - "Mr. Monk Takes His Medicine"
Monk's psychiatrist has him on some new medication that helps him get over his fears.  Just two problems.  The Monk, as he calls himself, is more of a jerk than a normal person.  And someone has taken a shot at Stottlemeyer, a case Monk can't seem to concentrate on.

My thoughts:
I'm a little confused why this episode was included.  Maybe it is because it shows us a different side of Monk.  It was the last episode that Sharona was in, so maybe they wanted to get her in one more episode.  But if that's the case, I would think "Mr. Monk and the Girl Who Cried Wolf" would be better since it is centered on her character.  For my money, the best episode of the season is "Mr. Monk and the Red Herring," the one that introduced Natalie.  And it would make a logical transition for this set.  Not that I'm saying this episode is bad.  The mystery is decent and we get some good laughs at "The Monk."  But I do think there are better choices.

Season 4 - "Mr. Monk Bumps His Head"
When Monk is attacked and kidnapped, he wakes up in the small town with no idea who he is.  As Natalie, Stottlemeyer, and Disher frantically search for him, Monk takes an interest in the disappearance of a waitress.  Will Monk's fears and OCD manifest itself?  Can he solve a case even if he doesn't know who he is?

My thoughts:
Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad episode or mystery.  However, the only reason it is included here is because it guest stars Laurie Metcalf.  That's too bad because I find her character super annoying, too.  For my money, this is actually one of the weak links of season 4.  They would have been better served with Ambrose's second appearance or "Mr. Monk Stays in Bed."

Season 5 - "Mr. Monk and the Leper"
Monk is disgusted when a Leper hires him to testify that the leper is still alive so his wife won't inherit everything.  But a dead body seriously complicates things.

My thoughts:
Again, this one was picked because of the stunt involved.  The episode was originally aired in black and white and color back to back.  The producers are especially proud of this one, but I never found it a standout episode.  Again, it's a good story and interesting, but my pick from season 5 would be "Mr. Monk and the Really, Really Dead Guy."  Or better yet, they could have gone with the mini-Wings reunion that was "Mr. Monk is on the Air."

Season 6 - "Mr. Monk is up all Night"
When Monk begins obsessing about a woman he met, he finds he can't sleep.  He starts wandering the streets of San Francisco.  While up, he witnesses a murder.  But when he returns with Stottlemeyer and Disher, there's no evidence.

My thoughts:
I'm completely stymied by this one.  It has some good character moments in it at the end, but the plot of the episode is painfully obvious early on, and waiting for Monk and the others to catch up is just tiring.  Of course, I am just prejudiced because "Mr. Monk and the Birds and the Bees" was overlooked for this one.  That season six episode is another of my favorite episodes.

Season 7 - Mr. Monk and the Miracle"
In this Christmas episode, Monk is hired by three homeless men to find out who killed their friend.  Meanwhile, miracles at a church lead Stottlemeyer to quit the force and become a monk.

My thoughts:
There is only one episode that could have taken the place of this one in the set, so I'm quite happy to see it here.  The mystery is decent and the laughs are plentiful.  Heck, I especially loved the summation here as Monk has to chant it in the church.

Season 8 - "Mr. Monk and the UFO"
While traveling across Nevada, Monk and Natalie experience car trouble.  Stuck in a small town overnight, Monk witnesses a UFO.  As all the crazies come out, Monk finds himself dealing with a dead body and the accusation that he is actually an alien.

My thoughts:
Season 8 was very strong.  While there are other episodes that I probably liked better, this one is very good.    And since this set was released before the series finale aired, they weren't going to include it here.  The mystery is certainly more engaging than normal on the show.  It had me going for at least half of it.  And the laughs as Monk is asked to prove he is human are great.  Of course, I have a feeling it made the cut because Monk and Natalie stay at a Sleep Inn.  This rather prominently featured hotel chain is also the sponsor of the "Little Monk" webisodes.

Speaking of which, disc two contains some bonus features surrounding "Little Monk."  We actually get one of the webisodes and a behind the scenes look at that show.  It's just okay, but it can't touch the genius that is the original Monk.

 As I've been writing this, I realize I sound a little harsh at times.  But that is bound to happen when you are talking about a show I obsessed over for 7 years.  (Foolishly, I didn't start watching until season 2.)  These episodes are certainly a good tool for introducing the show to those not already familiar with it.  They will see the fine writing and the outstanding acting the fans have loved since the first episode.  There's a reason that Tony Shalhoub has won several Emmy's for his work here.  And, while the rest of the cast hasn't been recognized, they've certainly done fine work.

My problem comes when you pick 8 episodes and label them "the best."  Obviously, I have a different list of what I would consider the best episodes from each season.  But if they went with my episodes, another fan would probably complain about them, saying there were others that were better.  There is only one truly bad episode here, in my opinion.  Even the ones I complained about are entertaining if not my favorite from the season.

So if you are looking to dip your toe into the world that is Monk, you will enjoy the Best of Monk.  Before you know it, you'll be hooked and looking to start your own obsessive collection with the first season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.