Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Book Review: Gone but Knot Forgotten by Mary Marks (Quilting Mysteries #3)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Intriguing mystery, great characters
Cons: Ending a little abrupt
The Bottom Line:
Death of an old friend
Is it more than it appears?
Intriguing story




What Happen to Martha’s Childhood Friend?

As I’ve mentions numerous times, I try to read books in the season when they are set if I can.  Sometimes, I stumble upon that when a book I decided to read happens to take place in the month I’m reading it.  That was the case with Gone but Knot Forgotten, the third Quilting Mystery from Mary Marks.

Martha Rose is surprised when she receives a letter from an attorney informing her that she has been named the executer of her friend Harriet Oliver’s estate.  Martha and Harriet were best friends through high school, but they had drifted apart when they became adults and haven’t spoken in years.

She is even more surprised when she learns the events surrounding Harriet’s death.  While it was ruled a death from natural causes, something about it feels off to Martha.  Making her even more suspicious, Martha discovers that Harriet’s jewelry and some very specific other items from her collection are missing from the house.   Did something happen to Harriet?

There were several details of the case that intrigued me, and I couldn’t wait to see how they were resolved.  The pacing was steady, and I was never bored while I was reading.  I did feel the ending was a little abrupt, but it was very suspenseful and answered all of our questions.

The characters are fantastic.  Martha has two good quilting friends, and I love their relationships.  Martha’s love life is complicated.  I think I was frustrated with everyone at one point or another.  But that makes for great reading, right?  We meet some interesting characters along the way, and I enjoyed them as well.

And yes, there is quilting involved.  I’m not going to tell you any more than that, but I love how quilting was woven into the plot.

You’ll noticed I said earlier this book is set in December.  However, it isn’t a Christmas book.  That’s because Martha is Jewish.  There are still a couple of references to Christmas.  Honestly, we don’t get much more about Hanukkah, and I would have enjoyed it if we did.  I do enjoy seeing that part of Martha come out over the course of the story since I learn more about Jewish culture.  It’s something that sets this series apart from others I read in a good way.

I’m late coming to this series, but with each book I pick up, I can see why the series is so popular.  Gone but Knot Forgotten is another fun entry in the series.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Quilting Mysteries in order.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one right when it came out but only remember liking it and thinking I need to go back and read the earlier books. Of course I haven't done it but I really need to because this does sound great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.