Friday, December 11, 2020

December 11th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

 Welcome to Friday, and this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm featuring Unlocked by Shannon Messenger.


This is a bit of an interesting book to feature this way.  This is book 8.5 in the middle grade fantasy series.  The first 500 pages are a guide to the world of Keeper of the Lost Cities.  And they don't provide much goodness for Book Beginnings or Friday 56.

The last 250 pages are a novella, and that's the part I decided I'd pull some quotes from.  I'll take the first line from the novella, and then take something from the 56th page in the novella.  Make sense?

With all that out of the way, shall we get to it?

Here's the first line of the novella:

"I can't do this."
The word felt terrifying - but Keefe could taste the truth behind them.

From the 56th page in the novella, we get this:

Ro shot a meaningful glance at Sophie that Keefe really hoped no one noticed.

Want to learn more?  I'll be reviewing the book this coming Sunday.

Meanwhile, have a fantastic weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a thick one for Middle Graders to get through. But I love the unicorn!

    Happy weekend and enjoy your doorstop!

    Weekend Book Friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite a chunkster. I blame Harry Potter for the bloated book sizes for middle graders. I'm spotlighting The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley which was a read/listen combo for me. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover alone would probably win my daughter over. :-) She loves unicorns. I like the excerpts you shared from the novella. Both have me wanting to know more. I hope you have a great weekend too, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a book by this author a long time ago. I have heard of this series, and it does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one on my GR list!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He could "taste the truth behind them"? huh. what does truth tast like?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.