Thursday, December 17, 2020

Ornament Review: Pizza Planet Truck - 2020 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Expertly captures the Pizza Planet truck – with light!
Cons: Doesn’t actually deliver pizza
The Bottom Line:
Pizza Planet truck
Icon from classic movies
Comes home to your tree




Delivering Pixar Magic to Your Tree

When Pixar released Toy Story twenty-five years ago (and boy does that make me feel old), they invented a pizza restaurant for a pivotal scene.  Along with the restaurant Pizza Planet, they also created an old beat-up delivery truck, and that truck has popped up in most Pixar movies since in one form or another.  (I want to say all, but they might have skipped one or two.)  And Hallmark is giving us an ornament of this iconic truck this year.

Fans will recognize this truck immediately.  It’s a yellow Toyota pick up truck, but it’s clearly seen better days.  There are scratches that are beginning to rust in multiple places.  The doors have magnetic Pizza Planet signs on them, and there is a Pizza Planet rocket on the top of the truck.  The back has a white camper shell.  And someone has scratched out the Toyota on the back of the truck so it just says “Yo.”

But pizza signs on the tops of trucks are supposed to glow, right?  Funny you should mention that.  The sign on this truck does.  If you press the button in the top of the camper shell, the sign lights up for about 30 seconds.  The light requires three button batteries, and your first set is included.  I’m a bit surprised it takes so many batteries since some of the ornaments I bought that include sound clips in addition to lights use fewer batteries.  Maybe it’s because the sign is pretty bright.  Either way, it’s a fun bonus.

Another fun bonus is the fact that the wheels spin.  No, this isn’t designed to be a toy, and it won’t last long if you try to play with it.  But it is a nice detail.

Since this is a car, it rests on all four wheels.  You could set it out to be displayed and enjoy it year-round.

I’ve got mine hanging on my tree this year.  It does tip forward slightly when you go to hang it, but a well-placed branch will disguise that if it bothers you.

As soon as I saw this ornament this year, I knew I had to get it.  It’s one of those little things you don’t expect to get an ornament for, and that makes it extra special.  I mean, we’ve had plenty of ornaments with the Toy Story characters over the years, but this is something truly special to mark the historic film’s twenty-fifth anniversary.

That’s why I’m glad I added the Pizza Planet Truck to my collection this year.  If you are a Toy Story fan, you’ll want to track it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.