Sunday, December 20, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Jafar - Window of Evil - 2018 Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Unique window pin, and it works
Cons: Not completely obvious at first glance what is going on
The Bottom Line:
Jafar in window
Different presentation
Fun because unique

Phenomenal Cosmic Pin – Itty Bitty Size

Aladdin was the first movie I saw in the theater multiple times.  I was in high school when it came out, and I finally had the freedom and a little bit of money to be able to do that.  I still love this movie all these years later, so I was thrilled to see Jafar pop up in the Windows of Evil pin series.

You actually have to look pretty hard to find Jafar.  Unlike many of the pins, he’s not front and center.  Instead, he’s small in the bottom half of the pin, but he’s there.  He has his staff raised above his head.

So, if Jafar is so small, what is making up the majority of the pin?  In the upper half, we get Jafar is another form – Jafar as the genie he turns into at the end of the film.  This part of the pin is very red, as you’d expect.  The bottom half is a dark blue and features part of the face of the Cave of Wonders.

The result is a bit impressionistic, but once who see what is going on, it is pretty easy to see it.  While it may not be as clear as some of the others, I love it because it is different.  The impressionistic elements really work well for the faux-stained glass look of these limited edition pins.

At the very top of the pin is the beetle that was the key to opening the Cave of Wonders.  At the bottom is a genie lamp.

My only real surprise is that Iago isn’t included in the pin.  He’s such a key character in the movie I’m surprised he didn’t show up.  But that’s a minor issue for me, and I’m not sure how they would have worked him in to what they did without ruining the effect.

Jafar’s Window of Evil is a case where something different definitely worked.  If you are a fan of the movie, you’ll be glad you tracked down this pin.

If you'd like to see this pin, stop by my Instagram account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.