Thursday, July 15, 2021

July 16th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Wow!  It's been a month since I last participated in Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  I think it's time I changed that.

This week, I'm featuring The Rocky Road to Ruin by Meri Allen.


This is the first in the new Ice Cream Shop Mystery series.

Here's how it begins:

If you looked up "New England" you'd probably find a picture of my hometown, Penniman, Connecticut.  Miles of gray stone walls bordering narrow country lanes?  Check.  A covered bridge?  A town green with a war memorial in the center of the emerald swath of grass?  Check and check.

Okay, so it's not the most exciting opening, but it does make me want to settle in.  Meanwhile, we find this at the 56% point in the book.

A tiny spark of light flickered up the lane.  It was across Farm Lane to the west, close to the old Fairweather family cemetery, instead of behind the barn to the east like the other night.  Still, the fire burned close to a field of parched sunflowers.  Too close.  "Not again!  Caroline!  Fire!  Call nine-one-one!" I shouted.

That will add a little excitement to your mystery.

The book officially comes out in a week and a half, on July 27th.  I just finished the ARC and I enjoyed it.  I'll be reviewing it on Thursday, so I hope you'll come back then to get my full thoughts on the book.

In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend.

7 comments:

  1. While the beginning doesn't grab you immediately I do agree it makes you comfortable with the narrator's voice and gives you a good picture of your setting! And fire will always ramp up the tension! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you have a wonderful weekend yourself!
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might not be exciting but it gives you a great feel for the setting! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already have so many cozy mysteries to read, but The Rocky Road to Ruin looks interesting too. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the beginning because it set the scene immediately. I like the title even more. My dream job would be coming up with cozy mystery book titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who lives in the south that beginning really appeals to me! This sounds like a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to Book Beginnings. I've been having to miss a lot, too.

    I also like the beginning of The Rocky Road to Ruin. It establishes both setting and voice right up front.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.