Friday, May 19, 2023

May 19th's Friday Post Featuring Murder at the Marina

Hi everyone!  Welcome to Friday and another Friday post, where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the first three, my teasers will be coming from Murder at the Marina by Janet Finsilver.


This is the fifth in the Kelly Jackson series.

Horse lovers will be jealous of how the book opens:

My heart raced as the Appaloosa galloped down the beach, his hooves flinging sand high into the air.

Heck, I have only ridden on horseback a few times, and I was jealous of the opening scene.

Moving ahead to 56% of the ebook, we find this fun exchange.  To set the scene, Kelly has gone to the marina to get some information, and well, there's a reason this book is called Murder at the Marina.  Anyway, this is what happens when she shows up.

I spotted Joe in his usual attire and place—bib overalls and rocking chair. “Hey, Joe.”
“Hey back to you.” He leaned over and peered around me toward the parking lot.
I looked over my shoulder but didn’t see anything in the lot. “Are you looking for something or expecting someone?”
“Just checkin’ to see if the cop cars arrived yet. They have every time you’ve showed up.” He chuckled, a dry, cackling sound.

I've finished the book, and I enjoyed it.  I'm planning to review the book Wednesday of next week, so I hope you'll come back to see my full review.

Meanwhile, time to close things out with the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Have you ever attempted to repair a damaged book?

I have a couple of times over the years, and it was mostly successful.  But, most recently, there was the ARC I got wet that I borrowed a friend's hairdryer and dried the book out.  Yes, the pages are all stiff now, but I was able to read it.

Have a great weekend.

13 comments:

  1. Cute 56... Joe sounds like a whip! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to know. Do you have a publishing schedule? Do you add every book you read onto your schedule? I am so impressed that you know you'll be publishing this next Wednesday. I need to know your secret organizational plan. Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically try to review books on Tuesday and Thursdays. Next week, I have an audio book review as well as the two books I read, so I switched to Monday, Wednesday, Friday. This got put in the Wednesday slot.

      Yes, I do review every book I read. Most of the time, I just have a general idea of what I am planning to review when unless it is a book I've agreed to review. Those I typically set the date for a couple of months early. But books I've bought get fit into the schedule as I read them.

      I try to finish the book I'm reading at least a week before I post the review, which is why I know what I'm planning to review next week. But usually, I'm only a few books ahead of what has shown up on the blog.

      Does that make any sense? Hopefully. It makes sense to me, and works for me, even if no one else can follow it.

      Delete
  3. Love those snippets. I'll have to add this series to my list. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another series I haven't read yet, but it's on my list. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first line this week is from Counter Attack by Patricia Bradley:
    Phame fingered the White pawn and opened the TOR browser from a USB drive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first line this week is from Counter Attack by Patricia Bradley:
    Phame fingered the White pawn and opened the TOR browser from a USB drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to learn how to repair a book. I think when they get soaked however there's no coming back from that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading A Heart Worth Stealing by Joanna Barker. It is really good!
    "I stood frozen, unable to move, speak. Catherine looked from me to Jack, her expression unreadable."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that opener! I have been horseback riding a few times and loved it. It's always something I wish I had been able to get more into in my younger years.

    We had to blow dry one of my daughter's books recently after it got soaked in the rain. Fortunately, the ink didn't blur and, as you mentioned with your book, the pages are stiff but otherwise it's readable.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have fix some tears and rips with tap. Nothing in the way of major damages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm planning on reading an earlier book in this series in June and am so looking forward to it! This sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fun. I'm currently reading Across the Shores novella collection, and am on the third story, "Running from Love" by Angela K. Couch. The first line is: "Alberta, Canada, 1906 ~ Anna Kohler choked on a scream--and the rank odor that shattered any relief or hope that had flitted through her at the sight of the small cabin."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.