Friday, October 7, 2016

October 7th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Yeah!  It's Friday!!!  Let's celebrate with this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week's book is Death of a Toy Soldier by Barbara Early.

                                                             


This is the first in a new series.  It officially releases on Tuesday, although Amazon is already shipping it.  I read an ARC this week, and it's fabulous!

So let's get to it.  Here's how the book begins:
Cathy slammed the receiver down, and the phone's eyes wiggled.  Yes, our telephone has eyes.  These things happen when you work in a vintage toyshop and your phone was custom painted - and mounted on wheels - to resemble an iconic pull toy.

Since I read an e-ARC of the book, I'm skipping ahead of 56% through the book, where we find this gem.

"FedEX and UPS have been doing double duty beating a path to her door."
"Delivering what?" Jack asked.
You'll have to read the book to find out, although I will say I almost include the next line since it is a wonderful laugh.  But I just couldn't do it.

I will have a review up on Monday (already scheduled, in fact), and I hope you'll come back then to read it.

10 comments:

  1. Very cute cover and it sounds like a fun read. Enjoy!
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun!
    https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2016/10/07/the-friday-56-lines-from-a-book-im-reading-the-snow-child/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this one sounds like fun! I actually have telephones that are Disney characters...(Minnie Mouse, Winnie the Pooh).

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “A MAP OF THE WORLD”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been on my TBR since I first started seeing the title. I love the teasers and love seeing a holiday themed book that isn't a romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book! Parkeremma2003 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking forward to your review! mine is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2016/10/07/book-beginnings-teaser-tuesday-and-friday-56-the-madonna-of-notre-dame/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun read. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like holiday cozies and this one sounds fun - will look forward to your review. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you're making me want to try it! :)

    Check out my Friday Linkups.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.