Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Ornament Review: Season's Treatings #12 - Snowman and Snowflake Donuts - 2020 Hallmark Release

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Creative and festive display
Cons: Of donuts
The Bottom Line:
Display of donuts
Given a festive design
Looks great.  But donuts



Oh Donut Tree, Oh Donut Tree

Since I started collecting Hallmark’s Seasons Treatings series, I’ve found that each ornament puts me in a festive mood and activates my sweet tooth.  This year’s ornament is the first one that doesn’t do that since it features the one sweet I’m not a fan of – donuts.

Yes, that’s right, we have donuts for this year’s ornament.  They are festively arranged on a green platter to make it look like a Christmas tree.  The bottom layer are chocolate glazed donuts.  Above them are alternating red and green frosted donuts.  Then come long, twisted donuts sticking out in the shape of a star.  On the very top are two sugar cookies, one is a star, and sitting on the very top is a snowman.

With the reds and greens and star and snowman, I could easily see this being brought to a Christmas party.  It does look festive, and design wise, it looks great.  I do have to question just how likely it is that this would be brought to a Christmas party, however.  With all the other treats that people make at Christmas, I don’t think of donuts as being a popular holiday treat.  It could be a regional thing, of course.  Maybe this would be more popular in other parts of the country than it is in Southern California.  And maybe I just haven’t noticed because I’m not a fan of donuts.

I know, I know.  I grew up eating them every Sunday in youth group.  But after a couple of years, I started to really taste the fat, and that turned me off to them.  I still have one once a year or so, and I’ve found that I still don’t enjoy them.  (Now, if only I could lose my other sweet cravings, and I might lose some of this weight I could stand to lose.)

I’m now going to say a couple of things I don’t normally say about the ornaments in this series.  Normally, I don’t recommend the ornaments in this series being set out to be displayed because they are fairly flat and designed to be hung.  In this case, the ornament is three dimensional enough that I think it would look good added to a display.  Meanwhile, it hangs straight.  Most of the ornaments in the series hang at a fun angle, but this one is perfectly balanced.

Since this is part of a series, you’ll find a 12 in a Christmas tree on the bottom of the ornament.  Hard to believe we are up to twelve already.  You’ll also find the year painted on the plate.

This is definitely not my favorite entry in the Season’s Treatings series.  I can appreciate the creative display, but the fact that it is donuts lessens the appeal.

Enjoy the rest of the Season's Treatings series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.