Sunday, April 7, 2013

Electronics Review: Canon PSC-60 Camera Case

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Soft interior, perfect fit for my camera
Cons: Doesn't have a hole for the wrist cord
The Bottom Line:
Good camera case
Wish it had hole for wrist cord
Served me well for years




I Like This Case, but I Wish I Had Done a Tad More Research

When I bought my Canon 570 IS digital camera, I knew I wanted to get a small case to go with it. I was in a hurry in the store, so I didn't fully investigate my choices before I bought the Canon PSC-60 case. And it's a fine case. But it is missing one feature I wish it did have.

The case is made from nylon to resist some water. However, the top flap leaves a little gap, so it won't completely protect your camera. If we are in more then a sprinkle, I'd recommend putting your camera in a much dryer place so it doesn't get ruined.

The case is gray and, with the flap closed, measures 4.13 inches long by 2.6 inches tall by 1.93 inches deep. My camera is not listed on the back as one it will fit (further proof I should have done a little more looking). However, it fits in the case beautifully. It's perfectly enclosed with no wiggly room to cause damage as I carry it around with me during the day. The flap and back of the case have just a bit of padding to help protect the camera from outside bumps along the way.

The case closes by Velcro. The about 1.5 inches of the tip of the flap are covered with it. Then there's an inch strip running down the front. As a result, you get a great hold. There's no sneaking the camera out of this case and it takes a good pull to open it when you want to get your camera out.

The case does have one small additional pouch. It could be used for extra batteries or a spare memory card. And it's small enough you'd only have room for one of the other.

On the back of the case is a hefty looking belt loop you can use to strap this to your waist and carry it around with you all day.

Which brings us to the one problem I have with the case. There is no hole for the wrist cord. I prefer to hold my camera and have the cord over my wrist when I think I am going to use it and keep the whole thing in a hip pack when I'm not using it. With my old camera and camera case, I would keep the cord through a hole in the top. When I wanted to take the camera out of the case, the case would dangle down from the cord. With this one, I have to keep the case in one hand or stuff it in my pocket or back in the hip pack. My biggest fear is setting it down and forgetting it. It looks like Canon does make a case with a hole, so I wish I had done more looking before I bought.

On the whole, I am happy with my Canon PSC-60 case. It's durable and will stand up to years of use. If it just had that hole it would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.