Saturday, April 6, 2013

Music Review: The Blessing by John Waller

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Some truly enjoyable songs
Cons: Similar sounds and some trite lyrics
The Bottom Line:
Not perfect debut
But it does show some promise
With several good songs




This Debut is a Blessing

The Blessing is a debut years in the making. John Waller was part of a band for years that never quite got its big break. When the band broke up, John became a music minister, only to be discovered for his songwriting gift and given a solo recording contract. I must admit I had missed some of the hype surrounding the release (I've got to get back into Christian music circles), but two things caught my eye. First, John is touring with Casting Crowns, one of my favorite groups. Second, Billboard called him the "Christian Artist to watch for 2007." Between the two, I had to give him a try.

I'll admit my first impression wasn't good. But I set it aside for a couple months and came back to it. And that's when I began to find charm and joy of the disc.

Both parts of John's previous music background are on full display here. Almost all of these songs are worship songs that could be sung at a contemporary worship service on a Sunday. Yet this is a pop/rock release bordering on the rock side. In fact, I think I'd call it soft rock more then pop/rock. Most songs feature layered guitar and heavy drums predominantly. Things are mostly upbeat, but the last couple songs slow things down.

Several of these songs are obviously intended to be worship choruses. They feature short, easy to remember lines and are heavy on the verses. Not that I'm complaining since they are great songs. "Identity" is a reminder that we are supposed to be becoming more like God, so His traits are our traits. "While I'm Waiting" is a song of commitment during the hard times. This is definitely one of the slower songs, and you can really hear the strings on the verses before the guitar drowns them out on the chorus.

"Love to Say Your Name" easily fits in the category as well. The song reflects on God's many names from the Old Testament as a way to both praise God and get to know Him better. It's got a fun beat and a catchy melody. And the chorus repeats several of the Names along with their English translation. It's a neat song to meditate on throughout the day.

The first single from the disc is the title track. "The Blessing" features Mark Hall of Casting Crowns. The duet is inspired by the end of Deuteronomy and combines a desire to leave a Godly legacy with the commitment to follow God now. It starts quietly and slowly, but builds as the song progresses until it is a solid mid-tempo track.

The disc ends with another duet, this time Mark Miller of Sawyer Brown. "Sacred Pages" reminds us that the God of the Bible is still our solid ground today. It features mandolin, which gives it a slightly country feel, but only slightly.

My favorite track is "Still Calls Me Son." I'm just a sucker for Prodigal Son songs, I guess. The song is written from the point of view of the son in that parable as he wonders if his Father could forgive him. A slower rock ballad, it still features mainly guitar.

And that brings me to the problems with the disc. While I love the sound, every song begins to sound the same quickly. A little more variation of tempo and instruments would really help the disc.

The other issue is trite lyrics. While several of the songs sound similar, "Calling for a Flood" and "Breathe on Me" both sound like songs we've heard a million times in Christian music circles. Granted, they are fine tracks. But heck, even both of these songs call for a renewing of the Holy Spirit. Two tracks on the same disc? More variety is definitely needed.

Neither of these flaws is fatal, however. The more I listen to The Blessing, the more I like it. John Waller has made himself a new fan, and I will be watching for his next release.

CD Length: 45:55
Tracks:
1. Calling for a Flood
2. Identity
3. The Blessing
4. Still Calls Me Son
5. Ancient Words
6. Breathe on Me
7. Love to Say Your Name
8. While I'm Waiting
9. Something Big
10. Sacred Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.