Sunday, May 12, 2013

Book Review: Bookmarked for Death by Lorna Barrett (Booktown Mysteries #2)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good story and characters
Cons: Angelica can be overbearing; pacing near the end
The Bottom Line:
Improves on the first
While still having a few flaws
Such a great setting




Book Signings are Murder

Bookmarked For Death is the second book in a clever series.  The Booktown Mysteries are set in the small town of Stoneham, New Hampshire, a town supported by a series of bookstores.  Okay, so the tourist buses that come in bringing shoppers is probably a stretch, but considering how much I love to read, I love the idea of a street with nothing but bookstores.  Naturally, the series focuses on Tricia Miles, owner of the mystery bookstore in town, Haven't Got a Clue.  And I enjoyed this entry more than the first.

For her first anniversary, Tricia Miles is thrilled to host best selling author Zoe Carter at Haven't Got a Clue.  Things are going well until the crowd begins to thin.  That's when Tricia finds Zoe murdered in the store's bathroom.

Zoe was a very private person despite having lived in the small town of Stoneham for many years.  With the sheriff determined to keep Tricia's store closed, Tricia decides to find the killer so she can reopen.  But the more Tricia investigates, the more suspects she finds.  What secret that Zoe was hiding led to her murder?

I must admit, the description of Zoe's series made me want to go out, find it, and read it.  If only it were a real series instead of something made up for this book.

In addition to the mystery, there are two sub-plots.  One involves the Canadian geese who are taking over the town.  The second involves Tricia's sister Angelica.  Angelica has reopened The Cookery, the cook book shop next door, but can't seem to keep employees.  Probably something to do with her negative personality.  The beginning of the book reminded me just how obnoxious Angelica could be.  Fortunately, things improved as the book progressed, and I was reminded how nice she could be as well.

The majority of the characters who appeared in the first book are back as well, and I liked them once again.  Tricia is a strong protagonist, and I love her two employees.  I'm not as sure about Tricia and Angelica's boyfriends, but am willing to see how those relationships play out.  The suspects who play a significant part in the story are well developed as well.  Even some of the characters who only have a scene or two seem like real people.

The mystery plot weaves in and out of the sub-plots pretty well.  Things do seem to stall on all fronts in the final third of the book, but they do pick up again for the climax.  And the climax was logical and suspenseful.

Since Angelica owns a cook book shop, this gives the author a chance to include several recipes in the back of the book.  They looked good enough to make my mouth water.  The third person narration keeps the story moving quite nicely.

I almost gave up on the series after the first book, but I am glad I gave Bookmarked For Death a chance.  I'll definitely be returning to Stoneham for the third entry in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.