Friday, May 24, 2013

Electronics Review: Dell SK-8115 Keyboard

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Simple keyboard that works well
Cons: Maybe a little too light weight
The Bottom Line:
A simple keyboard
That does its job perfectly
No bells and whistles




Just Your Basic Keyboard

About a year ago, I got a new computer at work, and with it came a new keyboard, specifically the Dell SK-8115.

Since this is a work computer, I'm not surprised that it is a very basic keyboard.  It's got the QWERTY keyboard taking up most of the space.  Above it are the standard 12 function keys.  It does have a number keyboard off to the side, which is a huge help.  I'm an accountant, so I use the number keyboard on a daily basis.  (Any time I have to use the numbers above the letters, it messes me up.)  The F and J keys have a tiny ridge.  It's not enough to annoy you when you are typing, but it is enough to find the home keys when you are first putting your fingers on the keys.

The keyboard is fairly lightweight, so it doesn't take a lot of effort to move the keys.  They tend to make the normal noise when you are typing on them.  It's not super quiet, but it's not at all distracting, either.

The keyboard is only big enough for the keys in question.  In fact, the edges go right along the outer keys.  That means there is no wrist rest or anything like that, but it also doesn't take up any extra room on the desk.  If you don't have extra room, that could be a nice bonus.

I mentioned that this has all the basic keys, but that's all it has.  There are no controls for any features like a music player.  Frankly, I hardly ever use the keys like that on my lap top at home, so I don't miss them.

There is a standard length chord that attaches the keyboard to the computer.  They actually brought me this keyboard a week or so after my computer.  All they had to do was plug it in and I was ready to go.

Unlike my last keyboard, this one is black.  I love that since it means it hides dirt a lot easier than my last keyboard did.  Yes, you can still see the tan areas that are dirty, but they look nicer than the dark brown blobs a white keyboard gets from normal use.

My only real complaint with the keyboard is that is just feels cheep.  I haven't had a problem yet with anything breaking, but it feels like something could quite easily.  I'm not sure why I feel this way since everything, including the feet to prop it up a little, feels solid when I pock at them.

All told, I am quite happy with this Dell keyboard.  It's simple, but it serves my needs at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.