Saturday, May 4, 2013

Movie Review: Bill Cosby - Himself

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Funny, honest stand up
Cons: A few needless harsh moments about family life
The Bottom Line:
Do not watch this film
Unless you're ready to laugh
Cosby is funny




Bill Cosby is Funny, Even When Just Being Himself

Having mostly missed his various TV shows, I know Bill Cosby mostly by reputation.  I know plenty of people who find him funny, and I am familiar with some of his more controversial statements.  Since I happen to agree with his point of view, I also have a great deal of respect for the man.

But respect only goes so far when it comes time to watch him in action.  Before I watched Bill Cosby: Himself, I had two friends rave about how funny it is.  Frankly, I wasn't surprised to discover they were completely accurate.

This "movie" is a recording of one of Bill's stand up routines.  Released in 1983, it even pre-dates his best known work, The Cosby Show.

The show starts out with two smaller bits.  First up, Bill talks about drugs and alcohol.  He discusses how ludicrous it is that people continue to use something to relax and have a good time that leaves them feeling miserable the next day.  Yes, he is making a point here.  (And, as a non-drinker, something I've wondered about quite a bit.)  However, he does it with such humor you are laughing the entire time.

Then he takes on dentists.  Not only does he ponder some of the things they do to you, but his imitation of a "conversation" while in the dentist chair with his hands in your mouth is spot on.

Finally comes the heart of the video - family.  Here, Bill talks about everything from the joys of "natural" childbirth and the breathing exercises you learn to prepare for it to the process of wrangling five kids throughout the day.  There's a great bit about what happens when he is told to make breakfast one morning.  Then there's the process of getting the kids into bed at night.  He even ponders the difference between his parents when he was a child and how those same people interacting with their grandkids.

Now if you are in the market for visual stimulation, this isn't the video for you.  While professionally filmed, it is just Bill, a microphone, and a chair.  While the chair becomes a prop at times, most of the time Bill is sitting in it talking.

But that doesn't mean it is boring in the least.  The jokes come fast and furious.  While there are few visual gags (near the beginning, there's a great extended gag using the chair), the witty lines never stop.  And, if that isn't enough, he's got funny voices he uses for other members of his family and even some great vocal effects.  Trust me, you'll be laughing before you know what hit you.

You don't have to take my word for it.  The live audience there the night this was filmed was laughing incredibly hard as well.  In fact, they were laughing harder than I was.  We never do see them, but Bill only interacts with them every so briefly.

Better yet, this comedy is clean.  I must admit even the few times he used slightly off color language (one near the beginning and again near the very end), I found it funny.  I was a little embarrassed at what I was laughing at, but it was so true it was funny.  And I am complaining about 1 minute of a 1 hour 45 minute show.  By anyone's standards, that is still clean.  Even the parts about childbirth I'd have no problem watching with a multi-generational group.

The other potential stumbling block is his depiction of his wife.  She comes across at times as a rather harsh woman.  Of course, he paints himself as lazy, so I have a feeling that exaggeration was the name of the game here.  I have a feeling these bits would be changed if he were to redo the routine today.  But that would take some of the best bits out of the video.

One final note, Bill talks about all five of his kids, which means parts of it mention his deceased son Ennis.  I viewed it as a tribute to how close a family they were and enjoyed it with just a hint of melancholy about his passing.

If you are looking for proof that daily life can be funny, look no further than Bill Cosby: Himself.  You'll laugh the entire time the video is on, sometimes uncontrollably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.