Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Movie Review: Monsters Vs. Aliens

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Tons of laughs with a good story and characters
Cons: Predictable; a couple crude jokes
The Bottom Line:
Ginormica film
Funnier than expected
Do not miss this one




"I Come in Peace.  I Mean You No Harm.  You're All Going to Die."

I'm not normally a fan of Dreamworks Animation, so I was prepared to write off Monsters vs Aliens from the very beginning.  Then I saw my first preview.  When I stopped laughing, I thought to myself, "I've got to see this film."  That feeling only grew over the next few months.  And I'm glad I did because it was enormous fun.

It's supposed to be the happiest day of her life.  But shortly before Susan (Reese Witherspoon) marries local weatherman Derek (Paul Rudd), she is struck by a meteor.  But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  And taller.  As Susan grows to the size of a giantess, the government shows up and takes her away to a secret facility.

It is there that she finds out she isn't the only monster rounded up over the years.  There's B.O.B, a giant blob of goo (Seth Rogen), Dr. Cockroach, Ph.D., a mad scientist who turned himself into a human cockroach (Hugh Laurie), The Missing Link, a fish monster (Will Arnett), and Insectasaurus, a giant caterpillar.

The five monsters might have stayed locked up forever if it weren't for the alien invasion.  The governments, lead by President Hathaway (Stephen Colbert), makes the monsters a deal.  If they will defeat the alien, they will be released from prison.  Can they save San Francisco from the menace?

Where do I even begin with this film?

Let's start with the negative aspect, the story is predictable.  I had all the major plot points figured out by the half way point.  So if you are going to the film looking for originality, you will be disappointed.

However, I can't fault the producers for dragging things out.  I was actually surprised at how quickly things moved along.  I was expecting several scenes getting to know the monsters in their prison before we started fighting the alien, for example.  We got enough to introduce them, but really, that was all before we moved on to introducing the menace.

Now that's not to say they skimp on character.  While we don't have long drawn out scenes that let us know who these five characters are, we get to know them over the course of the movie.  Susan is the most developed, and she really gives the film its heart.  But the other monsters are just as endearing.  I even grew to like Insectasaurus, the only character who doesn't talk.

And the movie is hilarious.  I am not too familiar with the 50's monster and alien movies, but it was still clear to me that's what was being spoofed.  There were so many great one liners that I was laughing the entire way through.  I saw the movie with two friends, and the three of us were laughing more than anyone else in the theater.

The voice talent did a great job.  I honestly didn't recognize many of the voices, which always helps me get lost in an animated film.  For example, this huge 24 fan didn't even recognize Kiefer Sutherland's voice as the general who is guarding our monsters.

It really goes without saying, but I will say it anyway.  The animation was wonderful.  Things looked so realistic, or at least plausible since we are dealing with so much fantasy stuff.  There is a big scene set around the Golden Gate Bridge that looked amazing.

I didn't get to see the film in 3D (it was sold out when we got there).  There were several shots that I think were designed with that in mind, and I'm sorry I missed out.

Being Dreamworks, there were a couple of slightly off color jokes that I didn't fully appreciate.  But most of the movie was acceptable for kids of all ages.  And the movie is so funny I seriously doubt it would scare any but the youngest of children.

Am I a full fledged Dreamworks Animation fan?  Considering their past dealing with Disney and Pixar and some very sub-par films, not yet.  But Monsters vs Aliens has convinced me to give them more of a chance in the future.

And as a side note?  Those friends I saw the movie with - it was the first time all three of us had hung out together, and today they are some of my best friends.  Has nothing to do with the movie or how I feel about it, but I will always think of them when I watch it.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I thought it silly and a little predictable (and didn't like the crude humour), but on the whole found it rather fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.