Thursday, May 9, 2013

Music Review: All Things New by Watermark

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: "More Than You'll Ever Know" and "Who Am I?" among others
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Watermark's best disc
Truly great worship music
Fun to listen to




Watermark's Best Release to Date

Watermark was never one of my "can't wait for" duos.  I enjoy the husband and wife team of Nathan and Christy Nockels and was sorry when they called it quits as Watermark.  (Christy has started recording on her own and Nathan is still producing.)  But all their discs needed time to grow on me.  The one exception was their sophomore release, All Things New.  Driven by a couple of great songs, I love it right from the start.

I had actually started hearing "More Than You'll Ever Know" before the disc came out, and I loved it from the first listen.  It's a tribute to great friendships.  You know the kind, the ones where you can be yourself around the person, they pray for you constantly, and encourage and convict you when you need it.  The song is very upbeat and driven by Nathan's guitar.  It's so easy to sing along with it, and God always brings to mind the close friends I have been blessed with other the years.

The other song that I loved immediately actually wasn't a new to me song.  "Who Am I?" had been recorded by Point of Grace on their Steady On CD.  But Nathan and Christy wrote it, so they include it here with part of the praise chorus "Grace Flows Down."  Reflecting on God's grace to save us always drives me to praise, and this song's mellow guitar help with that.  I especially love how they work in lyrics from familiar hymns "Amazing Grace" and "Grace Greater Than" into the words.

Along the way, I've found other songs I really enjoy.  Since Watermark often focused on worship, there are several more great worship songs here.  "You are My Stronghold" was inspired by Psalm 27.  You can hear a good mix of keyboard and guitar as Christy sings of God's protection from the dangers of life.

"Incorruptible" really broadens the musical landscape.  It's still a guitar based song, but they add a string quartet to really compliment things.  Christy always sings the lead, but this is one song where Nathan's harmony vocals are rather prominent, and they sound great.  It is at once a praise song to God for salvation but also a reminder of what we have waiting for us for all eternity.

And of course, there's the title song.  "All Things New" starts out rather slowly and quietly, but builds quickly at the first chorus to throw keyboard and strings into the guitar and faster tempo.  This time around, Christy is praising God for His power to remake everything, including weak sinners like us.

"Good for Me" is a song I need to hear more often.  It rejoices at how God takes our burdens and carries them for us when we truly surrender to Him.  If only I would stop picking things back up after releasing them to God.  It's an upbeat celebration that is rather heavy on the percussion and guitar.

Probably the most surprising song on here to me is "Glory Baby."  The song is a heartfelt prayer of healing inspired by the Nockels losing a child.  The song is at times sad and almost moves me to tears.  Yet it is hopeful, talking about seeing that child in Heaven one day.  Kinda the whole "We do not grieve as those who have no hope" lived out in real life.  Normally, sad songs and I don't get along, but truly enjoy this one.  I think because it reminds us of the hope we have in Jesus.  And it helps that Christy's vocals are so fun of warmth even while showing true emotion.  It really is a great song.

When I am in the mood for Watermark, this is the disc I usually pull out and enjoy.  I may have never become a devoted fan, but I will always enjoy All Things New.

CD Length: 42:42
Tracks:
1. All Things New
2. More Than You'll Ever Know
3. Incorruptible
4. Where to Find Me
5. Good for Me
6. Glory Baby
7. My Heart, Your Home
8. Don't You Know
9. You are My Stronghold
10. Who Am I?/Grace Flows Down

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.