Friday, May 10, 2013

Music Review: I Choose You by Point of Grace

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great songs
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Membership changes
Music, lyrics still solid
Fans will really like




Behind the Scenes Changes Make Little Difference for This Point of Grace Release

I remember waiting and wondering what I would think of I Choose You.  I've been a Point of Grace fan since they debuted in the early 90's.  But this disc marked a change in status for the ladies.  Founding member Terry Jones decided to retire from the group and focus on being a mother.  Leigh Cappillino was brought in to round out the quartet.  I wondered how the change would affect the sound, but I'm happy to say their tight harmonies were still evident.

In fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference in the title track.  "I Choose You" is slightly upbeat pop with a heavy emphasis on guitar.  Their harmonies simply soar on the chorus as they sing "If everybody's worshipping something/I Choose You."

There was a slight change in their sound as the disc progressed, however.  While still pop, they added a slight rock edge.  That is evident on the next couple of tracks with feature heavy electric guitar and some echo effects.  I love "Down," which features some very fast lyrics on the chorus.  The song is a statement of faith in a God who is so far above everything on this world.  "Who Am I" is actually the second time these ladies have recorded a song with this title.  This time, they agree with Job and marvel at just how big God is, yet He still knows and loves us.  I know it's something I will never wrap my mind around.

They do slow things down for "Worthless," but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a driving bass line that really compliments the piano that is the backbone of the song.  "Justified" is a nice mid-tempo pop song that praises God for his free gift of grace.

"God is in It" is a nice take on Philippians 4:8.  The emphasis here is on how things with love, joy, and truth in it can lead us to God.  Really, this disc is the most upbeat release from Point of Grace in a long time as again we're rocking with heavy drums and electric guitar.

My favorite song from the second half is "Do it Again."  While it marvels at how God can use a random event or phrase or friend to encourage us when we need it, it also reminds us that God can use us in that same way in the lives of others.  The upbeat track is quite fun.

Things definitely slow down for the final four tracks on the disc.  The first of those is "Waiting in the Wings."  Piano and guitar are equally featured in the background as the ladies remind us that God will always triumph in the end, even if it looks like evil will prevail.

"Arrival at the City" is an interesting track.  It features a man, Adian Plass, reading a passage from Pilgrim's Progress.  The passage is the part where the pilgrims are arriving at Heaven.  The orchestra in the background fades right into the final track, "This is Your Land."  As you'd be able to guess, the song talks about the wonders of Heaven.  It's the slowest track on the disc, a very pretty ballad.  Some guitar takes over, but you can still hear the instruments from the previous track in the background.

In many ways, I Choose You was reassuring, at least for this Point of Grace fan.  It showed that even with a personal change, the strong lyrics and great music would still be around for quite some time to come.

CD Length: 44:20
Tracks:
1. I Choose You
2. Down
3. Who Am I
4. Worthless
5. Justified
6. God is in It
7. Make it Real
8. Do it Again
9. Waiting in the Wings
10. For All You've Done
11. Arrival at the City (Reading)
12. This is Your Land

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.