Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Music Review: Life Light Up by Christy Nockels

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Amazing songs of praise and worship
Cons: Could have used a tad more variety in the sound
The Bottom Line:
New worship artist
With sound we already know
Promising debut




Christy Nockels Lights Up Her Solo Debut

While Life Light Up is her solo debut, Christy Nockels is no stranger to Christian music, and specifically worship, fans.  She started out as part of the husband/wife duo Watermark.  Even before they stopped recording, she was recording songs on various Passion CDs.  All that experience comes together here for a strong, assured debut.

The disc actually starts out with a song I already know from Brandon Heath's second CD.  Turns out the two of them co-wrote "No Not One."  But while Brandon's version was a slower disc closer, this is an upbeat, electric infused opener.  And you know what?  I love both versions.  This one is incredible fun from the violin and cello opening notes to the driving drums and guitar.  But I think what makes it so amazing is the reminder about how awesome God truly is.

From there, Christy goes to the title song (and first single).  While it has a driving mid-tempo beat, it is noticeably slower than the opener.  After discussing how much God has allowed her to do, Christy offers her life to God to use however He wishes.

"Song of the Beautiful" is quite different.  In fact, it took me several listens to get it.  The verses talk about the broken and downtrodden.  You know, the people we wouldn't normally seek out.  But the chorus reminds us that to Jesus, they are beautiful.  It's a good reminder on where we should be setting our priorities.  The song is very much piano based, although you can hear some strings in there as it gets going.

The tempo picks up temporary for "You Are Able."  This is a triumphant guitar heavy praise song that makes you want to belt out the chorus.

Actually, the next track's chorus is just as beltable.  "A Might Fortress" is a new song with the same themes as the classic hymn.  It's just this side of a ballad.  It starts slowly and quietly but builds as it reminds us how powerful God truly is.  But the time we get to the chorus the last time, I am always singing at the top of my lungs.

"My Master" is a unique song that caught my ear the first time through.  In the Old Testament, a servant could choose to stay with his master when his term of service was over.  If he did this, he became a servant for the rest of his life.  That's the idea behind this guitar ballad.  The verses praise God for what He has done for us, while the chorus offers the commitment to live for Him forever because of what He's done.

The disc offers two covers of popular praise songs.  "Marvelous Light" another upbeat, electric track.  In fact, this one is really straddling the line between rock and pop.  I have heard this song before, and I love the reminder on all God has done for us.

I'm not nearly as big a fan of "Hosanna," and I can't quite put my finger on why.  With just guitars and drums, the instrument is certainly simple but beautiful.  I just don't seem to connect with the words.  They just seem rather generic to me considering what else is on the disc.  I do know it is very popular, so maybe I just need more time to warm up to it.

The disc closes with "By Our Love," another original song with a similar theme to a familiar hymn.  In this case, it is a call for Christians to live together in unity.  Accompanied by a simple piano backdrop, it's a beautiful way to close things off.

I do have one complaint about the disc.  There is a variety of tempo and instruments, yet things just seem to run together a bit too much for me.  Frankly, the lack of variety is something I often felt about Watermark's music, so it doesn't surprise me too much to find the same problem here.  After all, the other half of Watermark did produce this disc.

That complaint aside, there are lots of good songs on Life Light Up.  Christy Nockels should have a long, successful solo career ahead of her.

CD Length: 50:11
Tracks:
1. No Not One
2. Life Light Up
3. Choose
4. Song of the Beautiful
5. You are Able
6. A Might Fortress
7. My Master
8. In Your Hands
9. Marvelous Light
10. Hosanna
11. By Our Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.