Thursday, May 16, 2013

Music Review: O Holy Night! by Sandi Patty

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Beautiful orchestra, fun arrangements, "Carol of the Bells."
Cons: Not quite as great as her first Christmas release; few original songs
The Bottom Line:
Lots of classic songs
Give you the Christmas spirit
I listen each year




Lush Orchestra and an Amazing Voice on These Christmas Favorites

Back in the 90's, Sandi Patty was still an automatic buy for me, so when she came out with a second Christmas release, I didn't hesitate to get it.  I hoped it would recapture the magic of her first Christmas release.  While it didn't do that, O Holy Night! still has some great Christmas moments.

A couple years before this disc was released, Sandi had done a CD for Hallmark.  I never got it, so I can't tell you what was on it.  However, five of the eleven tracks here originated on that disc.  Frankly, I didn't figure this out until years later.  They flow together so seamlessly, you'd only know if you are looking for it.

It helps that all the songs are arranged by long time friend David T. Clydesdale.  David has worked with Sandi for years and knows how to get her amazing vocal range to shine.

And shine she does from the start.  "Angels We Have Heard on High" starts us off with stirring horns and a choir.  Sandi relies quite heavily on her opera training by the time it is over to hit and hold those high notes.  It is quite breathtaking.

I've got to admit I am a huge fan of the little recorded "Carol of the Bells" and this is a personal favorite.  Sandi does the solos, but the choir is a major part of the song.  The orchestra is full and adds to the drama of the song.  And drama is the right word.  With changes in volume and even tempo once, it sound incredible.

Sandi goes closer to pop for the next couple of tracks.  Don't get me wrong, the orchestra is still there, but she stays away from the higher registers and dramatic arrangements.  "Home for the Holidays/I'll be Home for Christmas" starts out mid tempo and upbeat, but things do slow down and get more melancholy for the second song.  The transition works well.  "White Christmas/Winter Wonderland" does the opposite, starting slow and picking up the tempo a little for the second track before transitioning back to the first.

We're back to big and dramatic for the title track, "O Holy Night!"  While Sandi starts out singing it solo, the orchestra really adds to the drama before the choir comes in to back her up.  It is sweeping.  It is huge.  Only Sandi could do it this way.  And yet, I enjoy her take on the classic from her first Christmas release more.  This one seems just slightly overdone while the other one was dramatic without going over the top.

"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" is also a little over the top for my tastes.  It's a good version, but there are others I like better.  The orchestra really makes things beautiful on "My Favorite Things."  There are parts that make it feel just like a soundtrack.  And you can catches measures of other Christmas songs on there if you pay attention.  "Silver Bells" relies less on the drama for a straight up version of the song.  And "The Christmas Song" is quiet and slow.  You can almost picture a warm fire as you listen.

Which brings us to the two new tracks.  Frankly, that's another complaint from this disc, the lack of original songs.  Most of the tracks are fine, but it's original songs that really make something stand out for me.

Anyway, "Child of Peace" is a nice mid tempo prayer for God's Peace to come to our world today.  "Star of Bethlehem" is the better original track.  It's a slower song, but the orchestra makes it beautiful.  Sandi sings about the hope that comes from the birth of Jesus, and she is joined by a children's choir, making it even more haunting.

I enjoy O Holy Night!  It always gets pulled out at Christmas.  I just tend to pull it out part way through the month after having already listened to my absolute favorite discs.

CD Length: 44:19
Tracks:
1. Angles We Have Heard on High
2. Carol of the Bells
3. Home for the Holidays/I'll be Home for Christmas
4. White Christmas/Winter Wonderland
5. O Holy Night!
6. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
7. My Favorite Things
8. Silver Bells
9. The Christmas Song
10. Child of Peace
11. Star of Bethlehem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.