Saturday, May 4, 2013

Music Review: Over and Underneath by Tenth Avenue North

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Encouraging lyrics
Cons: Can blend together some
The Bottom Line:
Up coming debut
Lyrics that will encourage
Disc that you will love




My Love for This CD is Over and Underneath

I truly wish I had a better way to keep up with the Christian music scene.  I don't remember hearing about Tenth Avenue North until they won the Dove Award for New Artist of the Year in 2009.  Curious, I went out and bought their major label debut, Over and Underneath.  I have not been able to stop listening to it yet.

As I hinted, the four guys who make up Tenth Avenue North have been together for a few years now, touring and releasing a couple independent CD's.  I'm sure that is part of the reason this feels like a polished debut.

Stylistically, they are soft rock, a style I am growing to love more and more every year.  Most of the time, the focus is on guitar since that is the main instrument that the guys play.  But they change styles around enough that it never grows old.

The first single from the disc was a giant hit for them, and for good reason.  "By Your Side" is written from God's point of view as He reminds us He will never leave us so there is no need to search for grace or love anywhere else.  It starts with finger picked guitar, but builds during the chorus to a fun, get stuck in your head melody.  But with the truth of the promise in the chorus, getting this one stuck in your head isn't a problem at all.

God's love is a major theme of the disc right from the start.  "Love is Here" opens things with acoustic guitar as it reminds us that God's love is available for anyone looking for it.  "Beloved" is another love song written from God's point of view.  This is the only song I don't absolutely love, I think because it sounds a bit too much like a traditional love song for my tastes.

While I wouldn't categorize this a worship CD, there are several worship songs here.  "Lift Us Up to Fall" is an upbeat song asking God to raise us up so we can bow down and worship Him.  "Hallelujah" closes the disc in a quieter fashion of simple praise to Jesus.

A common theme on the disc is surrender.  It comes across in the worship oriented song "You Are" which recounts how powerful God is and then surrenders to His leading.  Then there's "Break Me Down," an upbeat song with the similar theme.

My favorite of these songs is the popish "Let It Go."  The verses talk about the struggle to hold on to things while the chorus reminds us that surrendering to God is the only way truly enjoy life.  Beside the fun melody, I think I like this one so much because it hits so close to home.

The biggest wow moments for me were two quiet songs in the middle.  These may not be the moments you'd expect from a rock band, but the lyrics are amazing.  Up first is "Hold My Heart."  This ballad is the only piano driven track on the disc.  It's the cry of despair during the trials of life.  The poetic lyrics really drive home the cry for God to answer.

The next track, "Times," is the answer.  Even slower, it incorporates acoustic guitar and even some strings into the musical mix.  It reminds us that God is with us through every moment in our lives.  In fact, the CD takes its title from this track with the lines "My love is over/It's underneath/It's inside/It's in between."

My biggest regret with Tenth Avenue North's debut is that I didn't get it sooner.  I don't know how they will top Over and Underneath, but I can't wait to watch them try.

CD Length: 44:07
Tracks:
1. Love is Here
2. Lift us Up to Fall
3. By Your Side
4. Let It Go
5. Break Me Down
6. Hold My Heart
7. Times
8. Beloved
9. You Are
10. Satisfy
11. Hallelujah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.