Monday, May 20, 2013

Music Review: Somebody's Brother by Scott Wesley Brown

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: New version of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" rocks!
Cons: "Somebody's Brother" and dated music
The Bottom Line
I bought for one song
But I'm reminded how good
The rest of them are




Flashing Back to the 80's with a Good Scott Wesley Brown Release

Scott Wesley Brown started his Christian music career in the Jesus Music era of the 70's.  When Somebody's Brother came out in 1985, he had a loyal following.  I was never part of it, although my family did own some of his records.  This was the only one I worked hard to track down on CD.

There is one big reason why I wanted this disc; his version of Charles Wesley's classic "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" is wonderful!  While the words are the same (okay, he leaves out the "Hallelujah's" on the verses), the music, composed by Michael W. Smith is completely different, and it rocks!  I find the original hymn boring when we sing it every Easter Sunday now.  This version is a celebration that leaves me wanting to shout with joy.  It's dated since the main instrument is a synthesizer supported by a drum machine.  It's a classic version, and I'm surprised no one else has covered it.

That's not the only song I love on the disc, however; there's also disc opener "Goliath."  Told from David's view point, it draws a parallel in the second verse to putting our faith in God in modern struggles.  It's another triumphant song that again uses synthesizer as the main instrument.

Scott follows a similar theme with "The Red Sea Parted."  This time, he parallels Israel at the Red Sea with our struggles against sin.  The verses are slow and in a minor key, but that changes for the chorus.  Scott is backed by a full orchestra and a choir for the chorus, so it really sounds dramatic.

Another classic from the disc is "When Answers Aren't Enough."  This song of encouragement reminds us to trust Jesus even when that faith is all we have to hold on to.  It's not quite as dated as some of the songs thanks to the keyboard base to the music.  The disc closes with a similar thought on "Above the Storm."

There are several songs of pure praise as well.  "The Name of Jesus is Excellent" is a fast moving, synthesizer heavy song.  The synthesizer dominates in "Praise be to God our Lord" as well, but the drums and choir really make it dramatic.  "Then He Come" rocks as it focuses on Jesus' return to earth.

Scott was best known for his songs calling people to remember the poor.  We get two of them here.  "I Walked Today" is the better of the two.  Piano based, it paints a picture of the life of the poor and calls us to make a difference.  Ironically enough, "Somebody's Brother" is the weakest song here.  It sounds beautiful with lush strings and piano as the backdrop, but it is very slow and has an uninteresting melody with trite lyrics reminding us the poor are our brothers.

Most of the songs on Somebody's Brother are good.  I know I will pull it out at least every Easter, and enjoy it every time I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.