Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ornament Review: Patriotic Pals - Spotlight on Snoopy #11 - 2008 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Fun theme and good details
Cons: Feels more like summer than Christmas
The Bottom Line:
Americana
Doesn't feel right at Christmas
But I do like it




Snoopy Liberty and Uncle Woodstock Want You (To Put Them on Your Tree)

I've had a year now with Patriotic Pals, the eleventh entry in the Spotlight on Snoopy series.  And, to be perfectly honest, I still don't quite know what I think of it.  I like the detail and the look, but somehow I feels like they are trying too hard to keep the series going.

I have no way to knowing, but I do wonder if the theme has anything to do with the release year.  Four years before, they had a patriotic theme during an election year.  2008 was another election year, and once again Snoopy is showing pride in the USA.

This time around, he is dressed as the Statue of Liberty.  He's decked out in green except for his hands, feet, and ears.  Even the base of the ornament is the same grayish green color.  He's wearing a robe and a spiky crown on his head.  In one hand is the torch, also gray-green, except for the yellow of the flame on top.  In his other hand, he is holding a tablet with July 4, 1776, written on it in Roman numerals.

Woodstock is standing by Snoopy's foot.  He adds the most color the things as he is decked out in red, white, and blue.  It's hard to see his blue coat and white bow tie over a red shirt.  What stands out more is the red of his hat with it's little dashes of white and blue.  While the colors aren't quite right, Woodstock definitely reminds me of Uncle Sam.

Both figures are standing on a solid, rectangular base.  On the bottom of the base, you'll find the release year and the 11 for the ornament's place in the series.  It's wide enough that it makes the ornament extremely stable if you want to set it out to be displayed.  The hook to hand the ornament is actually hiding behind Snoopy's crown.  It's not very well balanced, however, since Snoopy really leans forward when you try to hang him.  He's also a little heavy, although it is made out of the same plastic material the others in the series have been made out of.

But once again, we are back to my basic feelings about the ornament.  I like the idea of dressing Snoopy up as these two American figures.  If this were a Fourth of July ornament, I would absolutely love it.

And I guess that is my critic.  While many of the other ornaments in the series haven't screamed out Christmas to me, this one seems even less Christmassy to me than most.  I just can't shake the feeling that I'm putting it out at the wrong time of the year.

If I were rating it as a summer decoration, it would definitely be getting 4.  But since this is a Christmas ornament, Patriotic Pals is getting 3 stars.  Peanuts and Snoopy fans will love it even if it just doesn't quite feel like Christmas.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Spotlight on Snoopy series.

Original Price: $12.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.