Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wellness Review: Schick Xtreme 3 Razors

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Close shave with one pass with daily use
Cons: Not up to anything too long or thick
The Bottom Line:
If you shave daily
You'll find these razors perfect
Just don't let it grow




Great for a Daily Shave but Not Up to Special Events

When my electric razor died a few years ago, I moved on to real razors.  I tried a couple, but the one I stuck with is Schick Xtreme 3 disposable razor.

These razors are fancier and more expensive than your normal disposable razor.  In my mind, they are well worth the price.  The heads are slightly flexible, but not overly flexible.  I tried the Mach III at one point and didn't like it because it swiveled so much I felt I couldn't get it to lay flat on any surface.  The Mach III are a traditional razor with replaceable heads.  Yet I felt I got a better shave with these razors.  And the Mach III replacement blades are about the same price as a package of these razors.

The handle of the razor is pretty much just light weight plastic.  There's not much to them, but they get the job done.

As the name implies, this is a triple head razor.  That means you get three razor blades back to back to back.  Theoretically, this means you get all the hairs in one swipe.  Unfortunately, my hair grows in various directions, so it usually requires two passes in different directions to actually get them all.  Still, one pass works for most occasions.  And they just don't make a razor to deal with stubborn hair like mine.

Like all quality razors, these are expensive.  I do find the pack of 8 is usually slightly cheaper than a pack of 4 when you divide out the cost per razor.  I always look for them on sale or at a discount store to help with the cost as well.

I've managed to make these razors last me a long time.  When just shaving my face, I can usually get three to four weeks out of the same razor.

But these razors do have a serious strike against them.  If you are shaving more than about two days of growth, it's very hard to get it to shave right.  I have a goatee, and when I trim it, I have to very carefully get the new edges.  Otherwise, I've got the old edges in about a day.

This was really driven home for me last night.  I shaved my head again for the first time in three years.  The problem I ran into involves how close together the blades are.  They got clogged with the longer hair (and yes, I started with as close a buzz as I could get with my clippers) in less than a dozen passes.  And it is almost impossible to wash the hair out again.  I wound up getting my Swiss Army Knife to keep cleaning the blades out.  Frankly, this isn't a good option if you shave in the shower like I do.  And I had a couple of very rough spots on my head I couldn't get no matter what I did.  I finally gave up and tackled it again with a fresh razor this morning.  Since most of my hair was gone, it went much better and I got it completely smooth.

So Schick Xtreme 3 is a decent every day razor.  But if you are a lazy shaver, it probably isn't for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.