Sunday, December 10, 2023

December 10th's Sunday/Monday Post

Hi everyone.  Time for this week's Sunday/Monday post where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

The last five days have been the longest three weeks of my life.  Seriously, the days were very long.  As I mentioned last week, it was fiscal year end at my job, and everything hit this week.  We got things closed and got the extra reporting done, but there were some very stressful days.  Plus I got hit with some unreasonable/unrealistic expectations, too.  But let's move on.

Thursday night, my life group at church got together for a Christmas party.  Okay, so it was just chatting, but it was a much needed break.

A couple of years ago, I took to running at lunch time much of the year so I can enjoy being outside during daylight hours.  However, during December, I still run after work so I can enjoy Christmas lights while I am running.  Wednesday, however, I ran at lunch time.  Why?  You just can't pass up enjoying mid-70's in December.

Friday, I decided to run before work since I had some other things I wanted to do after work and wanted to be sure I got my reading in, too.  However, I tripped while out running.  I was afraid that I reinjured my shoulder, but it seems to be doing just fine, which makes me happy.  However, I did skin my knee and hurt my other wrist.  Hopefully, that heals up in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, my trees are still half decorated.  Hopefully Sunday, I can get those finished up.

Why not Saturday?  It's game day.  I've got to leave here pretty quickly, and I don't expect to be back until late.  So let's get on with it.

Joke of the Week:


Why did the Christmas tree go to the doctor? Tinselitis!

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Book Review: Six Feet Deep Dish by Mincy Quigley
Tuesday - Ornament Review: A Welcoming Wreath
Wednesday - Novella Review: Murder Under the Mistletoe by Erica Ruth Neubauer
Thursday - TV Show Review: The Santa Clauses - Season 2
Friday - Book Review: Spoon to be Dead by Dana Mentink
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

I've got five books this week.  Well, fiveish books.

Why fiveish?  That's because of this first one.  Last week, when I was doing my post, I forgot to mention the Ducal Detective Mysteries set I got from Sarah E. Burr when she was interviewing her audio book narrator a week and a half ago on The Bookish Hour.  She was very generous with what she gave out to anyone who was watching live, and this five book set was what I chose.  I'd been wanting to dive into these stories anyway, so how could I resist?  And yes, some of these will definitely be showing up in 2024's Audio Book Challenge.

I got two ARCs this week for 2024 releases.  The first is Secrets of a Scottish Isle by Erica Ruth Neubauer.  This is book five in her historical mystery series.  I really enjoy seeing where Jane Wunderly goes next and what she uncovers there, so I'm looking forward to it.  This book comes out at the end of March.

The other ARC is also a historical mystery.  The Bootlegger's Daughter by Nadine Netterman takes us to 1927 LA.  I don't know much more about the book than that yet, but I did read Nadine's three book series and enjoyed it.  It's been a few years since she had a new release, so I'm looking forward to this one.  I'll be reading it when it gets closer to the May release date.

There was a great ebook sale on Mother-Daughter Murder Night by Nina Simone.  I've been hearing lots of great things about it, so I snagged it.

And, just Saturday morning, I snagged "Madcap Mayhem" by Kris Neri.  This is a short story with the characters from her Tracy Eaton Mysteries, which I loved.  I'd been eyeing it for a bit, but it was free, so I got it.  Not sure how long it will be free, so if you are interested, act quickly.  Not that the normal price of 99 cents is bad.

What I'm Currently Reading:

I'm deep in my Christmas books for the year.  And I mean books set at Christmas I've been saving for December.

Friday night, I managed to finish Spoon to be Dead by Dana Mentink.  I hadn't gotten quite as much reading done as I would normally like, but I had a quite Friday night.  This is the third and, sadly, final in her Shake Shop Mysteries. It was a fun mystery.  I've got to write my review so it will be ready to go this coming Friday.

That means I'm not that far into Murder on Mistletoe Lane by Clara McKenna, the fifth in her Stella and Lyndy Mysteries.  These are set in England in 1905.  At only 45 pages in, we've seen lots of stuff happen, but so far it appears to be unrelated.  I'm very curious where it is all going. I have no doubt it will all connect before the book is over.

Hope you have a great week.

20 comments:

  1. Seventy degrees is a very impressive winter temperature — I love California but only manage to be there rarely in winter. And last year we picked the week that it rained all the time.
    Enjoy. your weather!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that you tripped and hurt yourself! I hope it heals quickly. We have been having wonderful weather, having't we?! My daughter is just home from NY and is like a cat following the sun each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you tripped. Glad your shoulder seems to be okay and I hope everything else heals soon. I chose Sarah E. Burr's Ducal Detective Mysteries set as well and I'm planning to listen to them next year. That was indeed a very generous giveaway. I hope you're enjoying Game Day and you have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about you tripping, I hope everything heals up well! And I remember the end of year stress when I worked in a more corporate role, it's no fun and bosses get stressed so they can become a bit demanding, to put it nicely. I hope the stress eases a little and that you can enjoy the Christmas period! I hope you have a lovely week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in Italy (on a forest walk, so I lucked out---no skinned knees) and my ankle is still sore. Sigh. Glad you did not re-injure your shoulder!

    I'm sorry the end of the year has been so stressful at work. It sounds like you have some great plans to de-stress soon, and those lovely cozies should be perfect reading material to get the de-stress-ing started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I consider unrealistic expectations a sign that I am fabulous at my job, but it still is hard. Falling always jars the whole body, so I hope you feel better soon. I've had to stop running in the dark. Hopefully, this week will be less stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you got through that rough week at work.

    I need to schedule a couple of walks for after dark to see my neighbor's lights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had an eventful week. Sorry to hear it was a bit stressful and that you tripped, I hope you recover quickly and get a more restful week ahead with your Christmas books keeping you company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think running after work to enjoy all the lights is a great idea! Hope the scrapes heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry it was such a long week. Hopefully this week is better. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a rough week! My tree is still not out. Hope you have success finishing yours up. Mine might be done by Christmas!

    The McKenna books look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Work sounds really busy. Sorry you tripped out running, it does happen now and then to us all! Well, it used to!! Really nice idea to run after work to see the Christmas lights. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully work calms down soon. Praying for swift healing of your wrist. Great books this week. Hope you enjoy your book haul.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oof - a shoulder injury can be so painful. I hope it heals easily. Your dad joke got a chuckle from me. Have a good week and enjoy whatever reading you can work into it.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you had a stressful week! One of my goals next year is to get back into running. I always seem to hurt myself and then quit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry you had such a long week. I hope you now get a chance to finish decorating and getting into the holiday spirit. Your books all sound good too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Between work and your injury it really was a stressful week for you. I hope this one is better and that you are healing quickly. Enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So good you are running but sorry you tripped. I hope the running helps relieve some of the stress from work.
    You got more good looking books and I especially am interested in your thoughts on Murder at Mistletoe Lane.
    Cute Christmas joke. Thanks. Hope this is a better week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, 5 new books, sounds like Christmas before Christmas, lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gotten cold here and I'm not a fan. Sorry to hear you tripped but glad you didn't reinjure your shoulder! Hopefully, now that this long week is behind you things will be much calmer. Enjoy your reading and I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.