Sunday, December 3, 2023

December 3rd's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to this week's Sunday/Monday Post, where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Obviously, I took last week off from the Sunday/Monday Post.  I was with my family in Northern California for Thanksgiving.  Although, for a while, I wondered if I was going to make it.  There was an accident on the route I was taking, so what should have been the first hour turned into the first five hours.  But once I got through that stretch, I made good time.

And that was by far the worst part of my extended holiday weekend.  My brother and sister-in-law always host Thanksgiving itself, and it was wonderful as always.  Her parents were in town, so we got to see them, too.  Friday, we went over to see my uncle, aunt, and cousin plus that cousin's family.  Saturday and Sunday were just relaxing with family.  On my drive home Monday, I stopped and visited with some good friends over lunch.  And there were no traffic issues driving home.

Since then, it's been work.  This is our fiscal year end, so we are very busy.  This upcoming week will be just as bad if not worse.  Once I get through that, the worst should be behind me.  Hopefully.

Saturday morning, I did go down to the walking book club again, which was fun.

I've got a little of my Christmas decorating done, but not as much as I'd hoped there would be.  There just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done, are there?

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Ornament Review: Snowfall Prince
Tuesday - Book Review: City of Betrayal by Victoria Thompson
Wednesday - Movie Review: White Christmas
Thursday - Book Review: Keep Your Family Close by Annette Dashofy
Friday - Book Review: Christmas Dessert Murder by Joanne Fluke
Friday - Novella Review: The Dangers of Candy Canes by Laura Levine
Friday - Novella Review: Candy Canes of Christmas Past by Leslie Meier
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

Naturally, I didn't let the fact that there was a holiday keep me from getting new books.  Between the two weeks, I've got six more books to talk about.  After all, some authors ran Black Friday sales on their books.

Up first is Murder in the Desert by Mike Cassidy.  I knew nothing about it before I saw that it was on sale.  Sounds like a fun and funny mystery, so I thought I'd give it a chance.

Then came a sale by an author I read.  If you've paid attention, you've seen that I frequently read Diane Vallere's books.  She put all her Samantha Kidd Mysteries on sale for a few days, and I used that to snag Gilt Trip, the newest in that series.  Hopefully, I'll get to it next year.  I'm so close to being caught up on her books.

Next up is the one ARC I got in the last couple  of weeks.  Steve Hockensmith has released a new short story collection featuring his Holmes on the Range characters.  I won't be reading Partners in Crime until after the first of the year, but it is available now if you want to snag it.

Back to sale books.  Cold as Ice is the sixth in Julie Mulhern's Country Club Murders.  I've read the first three and have several more, so I snagged this while it was on sale.  And, it is still on sale through Saturday or Sunday (I'm not sure which, so snag it while you can if you want it).

I've been eyeing Take the Honey and Run, the first in Jennie Mart's Bee Keeping Mysteries, since it came out this summer.  Naturally, I snagged it when it went on sale.  I've been hearing lots of good things about it.

Finally, I preordered Rivers and Creaks by Marc Jedel right before it was released.  I have several of his books, but haven't read any of them yet.  This is set in the redwoods, which I love, so I decided I'd get one more.  Plus, it is still only 99 cents.  How can you go wrong with that?

These are all ebooks, so my real book shelves aren't complaining.  But I really need to start working on my virtual bookshelf.

What I'm Currently Reading:

I wasn't quite ready to start on my Christmas books yet, so I'm sneaking in one more regular cozy mystery before I do.  It's Six Feet Deep Dish by Mindy Quigley.  Obviously, this series has a pizza theme.  Who can resist pizza?  It's the first in the series, and I'm glad I finally got to read it.  I've got to get some more read on Saturday since I'm hoping to finish it on Sunday (as well as get decorations done).

Monday, I'll be reading Murder Under the Mistletoe by Erica Ruth Neubauer.  It's an electronic only novella in her Jane Wunderly series, so I'm hoping I can knock it out in one day.  Either way, I'm looking forward to catching up with the characters.

That about does it.  Hope you have a great week.

21 comments:

  1. There really aren't enough hours! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving though!

    I read the first few Julie Mulhern books and loved em. I need to get back to those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never enough hours! Good luck this week.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you (mostly) had a good Thanksgiving! The fiscal year at my job ends in July, and it's always a super stressful time. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a walking book club? Do you guys walk while talking about books? How does that work in a big group? That sounds so fascinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see family and friends on a holiday! An extra four hours on the road… not so great.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family, the traffic not so much. There needs to be more hours in a day for sure. I'm sure it is really hard for you with work being so busy at this time of year. I hope you have a wonderful week, Mark 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m glad the traffic didn’t spoil your Thanksgiving.
    Enjoy your new books

    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4 extra hours to NorCal? Total nightmare. I am so glad the rest of the holiday was wonderful and that you got to spend it with lots of family, which makes up for the long drive. I hope the end-of-year work went/is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent Thanksgiving at my brother's place too, but it was only a 40 minute drive! Glad you had good time once you arrived and the drive back was better. I hope your week goes smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you had such stinky traffic, that is the worst thing about traveling. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds maddening about the traffic but glad the way home wasn't as crazy. Otherwise it sounds like a wonderful time! I really need to read Six Feet Deep Dish. I got the most recent book that's coming out at the end of the month but haven't read the earlier books in the series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my. A five hour trip that should have been one? Egads. My husband and I own an electric truck and out biggest delay getting to Thanksgiving was finding a place to charge the vehicle. The good part of that is that we found a very good charging station en route that we didn't know about until our extended search done out of need!

    Have a lovely month! Cheers! My Sunday Salon post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Travel aside, it sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. Good luck with the year end work challenges - hopefully a good book or two will be a nice escape.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. Also looks like you have a good bunch of mysteries to read this week. Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a lovely holiday despite the traffic. Hope you are able to find some down time and get to your virtual bookshelf despite the hectic work schedule.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving once you managed to get there. Your books look good too. I just read Public Anchovy #1 from that Quigly series. It was the first I'd read. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had! I can't imagine how awful it must have been to have the drive take so much longer than normal.

    I have not even got my tree up yet, and no presents have been purchased. I feel so far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad your holiday was good once you got past the bad drive.
    I love the titles of your new books, especially Take the Honey and Run. I hope you get to relax in between your work year-end. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving, other than it taking much longer than expected! I think I have Murder Under the Mistletoe on my Kindle, I will have to take a look. Enjoy your week!

    Sherry
    http://bygloryalone.blogspot.com/2023/12/the-sunday-book-report.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a lot of family Thanksgiving time! Glad you got to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.